The level crossings at Bell Street, Coburg and Moreland Road, Brunswick are set to be removed, with works starting in 2019 and the boom gates expected to be gone in 2020.
These two crossings, located on the Upfield line, will be removed together as part of one project to minimise disruption for road and rail users.
Our investigations have identified two feasible designs for the removal of the level crossings:
- raising the rail line over Bell Street and Moreland Road
- lowering the rail line under Bell Street and Moreland Road into an open trench.
These designs minimise disruption to the community, preserve the heritage listed stations and allow for the potential removal of other level crossings on the Upfield line in future.
Initial investigations and early planning led us to rule out other designs because they would:
- require significant compulsory property acquisition of up to 60 homes and businesses across both locations
- have permanent impacts to access for businesses along the shopping strips
- affect access for the tram depot on Moreland Road
- impact future transport upgrades in the area.
In addition to further technical investigations, community feedback will be an important consideration as we continue to develop the designs.