Works notice – Underground service relocations in Bonbeach
17 Sep 2020
The Victorian Government is removing 18 dangerous level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade on the Frankston line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and run more trains, more often.
Construction on the removal of level crossings in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach has been deemed critical under Stage 4 restrictions and works will continue with strict health and safety protocols in place.
Workforce numbers have already been significantly reduced to support directions from the Chief Health Officer.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority.
Under new restrictions workers on these sites are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for an exception such as a medical condition or for OH&S guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
Works taking place
To prepare for level crossing removal works in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach, utility services such as water, sewer and gas are being upgraded and relocated to enable the rail line to be lowered into a trench.
From mid-September and early-November works will be underway in Bonbeach along Station Street, Nepean Highway, Monica Avenue, York Street and Bondi Road.
Changes to the way you travel
From Friday 18 September to early October, The Glade pedestrian crossing will be closed. Pedestrian access across the rail line will be available at the Bondi Road level crossing and Patterson River walking path.
From Monday 5 October to Sunday 18 October, the Bondi Road level crossing will be closed to vehicles. Pedestrian access will be maintained (see map over page).
During these times, there will be some changes to how you travel through the area:
- Station Street: Lane closures, removal of on-street parking and bicycle lane closures while works are taking place. Traffic will be maintained in both directions.
- Nepean Highway: Lane closures and removal of on-street parking while works are taking place. Traffic will be maintained in both directions.
- Monica Avenue and York Street: Lane closures and removal of on-street parking at times while works are taking place. Traffic will be maintained in both directions.
Traffic management will be in place to help drivers, cyclists and pedestrians move safely through the area.
What to expect
- Most works will take place 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 5pm Saturday.
- Night works will be required in some locations between Monday 5 October and Monday 12 October. We will provide advance notice to impacted residents.
- Targeted lighting will be used at night and positioned to minimise impacts to residents.
- There will be moderate noise from machinery, such as excavators, while works take place.
- Construction workers, vehicles and equipment will be onsite undertaking the works.
- Driveway access may be impacted at a small number or properties during these works. We will provide advance notice to impacted residents.
Communication during Stage 4 restrictions
During Stage 4 restrictions and in line with Government protocols, we are moving to electronic updates. Sign up for email newsletters and SMS alerts via levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/subscribe. If you do not have access to the internet, please call 1800 105 105.
We have paused door knocking and letterbox dropping during this time, but you can speak to the team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling the number above.
Email updates are sent with the latest information about the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach projects, and our team is regularly updating our website and social media channels with information on works being done.
If you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information, contact us on 1800 105 105 or email@example.com
Text ‘ECB’ to 0429 839 892 to sign up to alerts for major traffic and construction impacts for the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach Level Crossing Removal Project.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project