Works notice – South Gippsland Highway, Dandenong South, works in your area this August
26 Jul 2021
The Victorian Government is removing 17 dangerous level crossings, including the one at South Gippsland Highway as part of a $16 billion investment to upgrade the Pakenham line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and allow more trains to run more often.
Our 22 day construction blitz to connect the new road bridge to South Gippsland Highway and install the new T-intersection continues in August.
Once the works are complete, the new road bridge will open to traffic on Friday 6 August.
What to expect:
- construction works, heavy vehicle activity, noise and low-level vibrations
- road and lane closures on South Gippsland Highway and Princes Highway
- reduced speed limits through the area with traffic management in place
- access to local businesses will be maintained.
Works will take place 24/7 until 5am Friday 6 August 2021, when we will resume normal construction hours.
South Gippsland Highway closures
South Gippsland Highway is closed between Princes Highway and Dandenong Bypass from 9pm Friday 16 July until 5am Friday 6 August 2021. Detour via Frankston-Dandenong Road and Dandenong Bypass.
Local access to Fowler Road will be maintained via Dandenong Bypass only.
Princes Highway closures
- One lane is closed in each direction on Princes Highway between Plunkett Road and Power Road from 9pm Friday 16 July until 5am Friday 6 August 2021.
- Princes Highway will be closed overnight 9pm to 5am for four nights between Plunkett and Power Road from Tuesday 27 July until Friday 6 August. Access will be maintained via local detour.
For more information about travel changes in the area and to view our interactive detour maps, visit levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/disruptions
Other works in August
After the road bridge opens on Friday 6 August, works will continue in the area until mid-2022, including:
- roadworks to widen sections of Princes Highway
- installation of drainage
- continuing construction of the new South Gippsland Highway service lane
- decommissioning the old intersection of South Gippsland Highway and Princes Highway.
Changes to how you travel
To allow us to safely carry out works, travel changes remain in place throughout the project, including:
- one westbound lane will be closed on Princes Highway between South Gippsland Highway and Plunkett Road from Friday 6 August until late 2021
- all westbound lanes of Princes Highway will be closed overnight between Plunkett Road and Power Road, between 9pm until 5am from Sunday 8 August until Thursday 19 August 2021
- intermittent lane closures and reduced speed limits on Princes Highway and South Gippsland Highway
- sections of bike and pedestrian access closed on Princes Highway and South Gippsland Highway, with detours in place until late 2021
- reduced speed limits through the area with traffic management in place.
For more information about travel changes in the area and to view our interactive detour maps, visit our disruptions webpage.
Princes Highway overnight westbound closure detour
Health and safety
Works on the South Gippsland Highway Level Crossing Removal Project are progressing with strict COVIDsafe Plans in place. The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority.
For more information and advice about the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au