Works notice – Preston site office establishment, Cramer Street
29 Sep 2020
The Victorian Government is removing four dangerous and congested level crossings at Oakover Road, Bell Street, Cramer Street and Murray Road, and building new Bell and Preston stations. The level crossings will be removed by raising the rail line over the roads, improving safety and accessibility, and delivering new community open spaces.
The Preston level crossing removal project will commence site establishment and preliminary works on the project in preparation for major construction to commence in early 2021. To allow us to undertake our works safely, the following changes will take place affecting how you move around the area.
Melbourne Polytechnic Preston Campus, Cramer Street
We are installing temporary site sheds and modifying Building S at the northern end of Melbourne Polytechnic, located at 47-65 Cramer Street, Preston. Works will occur from Tuesday 29 September to Tuesday 1 December 2020 between 7am to 6pm weekdays and 7am to 3pm on Saturdays, weather permitting.
To prepare for these works to be carried out safely, we will need to close up to ten on-street carparks along Cramer Street for the duration of the works. Intermittent traffic delays of approximately five minutes will be expected to allow delivery of temporary sheds, goods, and equipment onto site. Pedestrian access and access to local businesses and private properties will be maintained. Traffic management will be on hand to help you move safely through the area – see map overleaf.
Types of works to be carried out
During these works, the following construction activities are expected to take place:
- Construction to extend the existing onsite carpark
- Modification to existing S Building including internal fit out
- Utilities services to be installed on site
- Non-destructive digging to identify the location of underground utility services
- Delivery and installation of site sheds
- Laying and compacting crushed rock with an excavator and roller
- Construction of covered ramps and walkways
- Construction of decking, roofing and fencing
- Removal of approximately one small shrub to enable delivery access.
What to expect
- Mobile truck-mounted cranes, excavators, rollers, trucks and other small equipment operating in the area
- Non-destructive digging, site investigations and service proving works
- Increased vehicle movements
- Some noise, dust, and vibration
- Reduced speed limits and traffic management during the delivery of temporary sheds and other plant and equipment
- Temporary closure of up to ten on-street carparks along Cramer Street.
Two-way traffic along Cramer Street will be maintained. Vehicle and pedestrian detour routes and traffic management will be in place during this time to help you move safely around the area – see map below.
Access to private properties and businesses will be maintained at all times.
Health and safety
Construction on the Preston Level Crossing Removal Project has been deemed critical under current restrictions and works will continue with strict health and safety protocols in place.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority.
Under new restrictions workers on this site are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for an exception such as a medical condition or for Occupational Health and Safety guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the project, call us on 1800 105 105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours a day.
You can also register to receive SMS updates by texting PRESTON to 0428 581 917.