Works notice – Preston site establishment, Edith Street and Preston City Oval
20 Oct 2020
The Victorian Government is removing four dangerous and congested level crossings at Oakover Road, Bell Street, Cramer Street and Murray Road, and building new Bell and Preston Stations. The level crossings will be removed by raising the rail line over the roads, improving safety and accessibility, and delivering new community open spaces.
Site establishment works – Edith Street and Preston City Oval
Preliminary works ahead of site establishment will begin on Tuesday 20 October 2020 and continue until late-December 2020. The Project’s regular working hours will be between 7am and 6pm weekdays, and 7am and 3pm Saturdays.
These works will involve utility service relocations and site investigations throughout the rail corridor between Cramer Street and Bell Street. The project will also be establishing long-term construction sites at Edith Street and the Preston City Oval car park.
What to expect
Before site establishment, work to relocate overhead wires underground will start on Wednesday 4 November and continue for approximately two weeks.
Short term impacts to power supply and driveway access are expected and more information will be provided by the energy supplier.
Following this, establishment of the construction site on the eastern side of Edith Street between Bruce Street and Cramer Street will commence on Monday 17 November and continue until late December 2020. Once established the Edith Street project site will become a key construction area until 2022 and will require:
- Installation of construction barriers in the southbound lane of Edith Street
- Closure of car parks on the eastern side of Edith Street
- One-way vehicle access into Edith Street from Bruce Street, northbound to Cramer Street
- Long term access to private properties and businesses will be maintained.
Vehicle and pedestrian detour routes and traffic management will be in place during this time to help you move safely around the area – see map overleaf.
Preston City Oval
From Tuesday 20 October to early November 2020, site establishment works will occur at Preston
City Oval car park between Bruce Street and Cramer Street. Once established this will become a key construction area until late 2022 and will require:
- Closure of all car parking between the rail line and oval pavilion
- Installation of safety barriers, temporary fencing and site sheds
- Relocation of accessibility parking from the northern end of the pavilion to the southern end of the pavilion
- Vehicle access to Preston City Oval will remain via Bruce Street
- The median strip on Cramer Street will be removed and the road repaved to allow construction vehicles to safely access the work site.
- Temporary fencing and barriers will be installed around the area while these works are completed.
Traffic management will be in place to help you safely move around the area. Please see map below for more details.
Health and safety
The health and safety of our workers and the community is our key priority as we continue works on the Preston Level Crossing Removal Project, as is supporting physical distancing measures in line with current health advice.
We have strict protocols in place to protect the safety of our construction workforce, including enhanced industrial cleaning arrangements, provision of personal protective equipment and measures to reduce staff contact, including staggered shifts.
To find out more about the measures in place on our projects, visit our website.
For more information about coronavirus, visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au
If you have any questions or would like more information about the project, call us on 1800 105 105 or email email@example.com 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Sign up for regular project updates at levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/subscribe
You can also register for SMS updates by texting PRESTON to 0428 581 917.
Every effort will be made to complete these works on scheduled however dates are subject to change.