Works notice – overnight works, road closures and driveway access changes, Clinch Avenue and Murray Road
21 Jan 2022
The Victorian Government is removing four dangerous and congested level crossings at Oakover Road, Bell Street, Cramer Street and Murray Road, and building new Bell and Preston Stations. The level crossings will be removed by raising the rail line over the roads, improving safety and accessibility, and delivering new community open spaces.
From Tuesday 8 to Tuesday 15 February 2022, the Preston Level Crossing Removal Project will be installing L-beams (concrete structures which will form the new rail bridge) over Murray Road and at Clinch Avenue.
To complete these works safely, we will block driveway access at night on Clinch Avenue, including the driveway for 6-8 Clinch Avenue, 4 Clinch Avenue and units at 1 William Street. The closures will be from 8pm to 8am Tuesday 8 February to Friday 11 February and again on from 8pm to 8am Monday 14 and Tuesday 15 February. Please note access to driveways will be maintained during the day, from 8am to 8pm.
The northern footpath on Murray Road, between St Georges Rd and Clinch Avenue, will be closed with detours in place to the southern footpath 8pm to 8am Tuesday 8 February to Friday 11 February.
Murray Road will be closed to traffic and pedestrians at the Level crossing from 7pm Monday 14 February until 6am Wednesday 16 February. Detours will be in place for vehicles and pedestrians.
Due to Department of Transport regulations, delivery of the concrete bridge beams needs to occur at night. Deliveries are heavily dependent on a range of factors including weather. Every effort will be made to complete these works on schedule however, dates are subject to change.
- Murray Road closed at the level crossing from 7pm Monday 14 February to 6am on Wednesday 16 February
- Clinch Avenue closed from William Street to Murray Road, from 8pm to 8am, 8 to 11 February, 14 and 15 February
- Driveway access to 4 and 6-8 Clinch Avenue and 1 William Street will be blocked from 8pm to 8am, 8 to 11 February, 14 and 15 February
- Murray Road northern footpath will be closed nightly at the level crossing from 8pm to 8am 8 to 11 February.
- Both the northern and southern footpaths on Murray Rd will be closed to pedestrians from 7pm Monday 14 February until 6am Wednesday 16 February. Detours will be in place for vehicles and pedestrians.
- The Clinch Avenue footpath will remain open to pedestrians at all times.
What to expect
- Local traffic and driveway access changes
- Some noise and dust from construction machinery
- An increase in construction workforce and vehicles in the area
- Late night/early morning truck deliveries of rail bridge segments
- Temporary lighting towers and generators in place for night works
Health and Safety
Works on the Preston Level Crossing Removal Project are being carried out with COVIDSafe Plans in place to help protect workers and the community.
For more information and advice about coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the Coronavirus website.
To keep up to date with driveway access changes, please sign up to SMS updates by texting CLINCH to 0428 581 917.
Every effort will be made to complete these works on schedule however dates are subject to change.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the project, call us on 1800 105 105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours a day, seven days a week.