Works notice – overnight deliveries at Preston Station in August
19 Jul 2021
The Victorian Government is removing four dangerous and congested level crossings at Oakover Road, Bell Street, Cramer Street and Murray Road, and building new Bell and Preston Stations. The level crossings will be removed by raising the rail line over the roads, improving safety and accessibility, and delivering new community open spaces.
Works to construct the rail bridges on the Preston Level Crossing Removal Project are now underway and will begin to take shape with the delivery of our first pre-cast concrete structures during August.
To kick-off this project milestone, crossheads (supports for the rail bridge structure) will be delivered to site and lifted into place by crane from Sunday 1 August to Friday 6 August.
Overnight deliveries and installation of L-Beams (large concrete bridge segments that form the new rail bridge) will commence from Monday 9 August to Friday 27 August 2021.
Due to Department of Transport regulations, both crossheads and L-Beams will be delivered to Preston Station (Preston Market side) and installed overnight between 7pm and 6am.
These deliveries are heavily dependent on a range of factors including weather conditions. Every effort will be made to complete these works on schedule however, dates are subject to change.
Access to Preston Station and residential properties will be maintained.
Changes to how you travel
- To enable these deliveries to be made safely, buses replace trains on the Mernda line on various weeknights in August
- A range of replacement buses will operate to get you to your destination as quickly and easily as possible
- Plan your journey at the PTV website or call 1800 800 007
- On street parking impacts will be communicated to residents and businesses closer to the time.
What to expect
- Some noise from machinery
- Up to four deliveries per night via St Georges Road, Murray Road and Cramer Street
- Increased activity on site
- Temporary lighting towers and generators in place for night works
- Noise mitigation will be installed and directional lighting plans in place
Pre-cast crossheads (headstocks) are delivered to site and installed on top of each pier to support the bridge spans.