Works notice – Old Geelong Road new road bridge open Thursday 9 December
01 Dec 2021
We’re removing the dangerous and congested level crossing at Old Geelong Road in Hoppers Crossing by building a new road bridge, directly connecting Princes Highway to Old Geelong Road.
On Thursday 9 December, the Old Geelong Road level crossing will be gone for good and drivers will use the new road bridge to cross the rail line. The new road bridge will open by 5am and at the same time, Old Geelong Road will close permanently at the level crossing. To minimise disruption to commuters, we'll remove the boom gates at a later date when there are other works on the rail line.
For more information about how you’ll travel round the area once the new bridge is open, visit the Old Geelong Road page.
The project will shut down over the summer period from 5pm Thursday 23 December until Monday 3 January, works will recommence at 7am Tuesday 4 January 2022. We thank you for your patience this year.
Throughout December, we’ll:
- finish the new road bridge and approaches in preparation for opening, including asphalting and line-marking works
- continue works on the new pedestrian and bike rider overpass, including installing lifts, stairs and the bridge walkway
- continue road widening works on Old Geelong Road, Heaths Road and Princes Highway, including asphalting and line-marking, replacing driveways on Heaths Road, and complete the intersection and installation of new traffic lights where Old Geelong Road meets the new road bridge
- build the southern plaza between Hoppers Crossing Station and Princes Highway
- build a new intersection and install new traffic signals where Princes Highway meets Hoppers Lane.
What to expect
There will be temporary changes to the way you move around the area. At times we’ll need to reduce speeds and close lanes, traffic management will be in place to help guide you safely.
We’ll work Monday to Friday from 7am to 5pm, and Saturdays 7am to 1pm. Along Old Geelong Road near the new road bridge, we’ll work until 7pm Monday to Saturday and 7am to 5.30pm on Sunday.
Upcoming night works
At times during December, we’ll undertake the overnight works (7pm to 7am):
- Wednesday 8 December to Sunday 12 December at the Old Geelong Road level crossing and Old Geelong Road/Princes Highway intersection
- Wednesday 1 December to Thursday 23 December on Old Geelong Road (between the roundabout and Nevada Court) and Heaths Road (between the roundabout and Morris Road)
Changes to the way you travel
Old Geelong Road
- Eastbound and westbound lane closures on Old Geelong Road (east of roundabout) until 7am Thursday 9 December.
- Old Geelong Road will be closed permanently at the level crossing from Thursday 9 December. Please use the new road bridge.
- Lane closures and reduced speeds will be in place at times on Old Geelong Road throughout December.
- One lane closed eastbound on Heaths Road, between Morris Road and Old Geelong Road, until 5pm Thursday 23 December.
- One lane closed eastbound and westbound on Princes Highway between Werribee Mercy Hospital and Princes Freeway, from 7am Friday 10 December until April 2022. Traffic reduced to two lanes in both directions.
- Five spaces in the car park at 76 Old Geelong Road closed until 5pm Thursday 23 December.
- Shared driveway between Werribee Mazda and Werribee Nissan closed until 7am Monday 20 December. Please use driveways on Morris Road or the Old Geelong Road/Heaths Road roundabout.
- No right turn from Princes Highway into service lane in front of 323 to 327 Princes Highway from 7am Friday 10 December until late February 2022.
- Service lane exit closed in front of 317 and 319 Princes Highway from 7am Friday 10 December until April 2022. Please use the exit 80 metres to the west
- From Thursday 9 December to June 2022, bus Route 153 will not service the Hoppers Crossing Station/Old Geelong Road bus stop. Please use the Werribee Mercy Hospital/Princes Highway bus stop.
Access and car parking
- Access to businesses will remain at all times, please continue to shop at local businesses during works.
- Footpath and pedestrian crossing changes at the Old Geelong Road/Princes Highway intersection until April 2022. Please follow detour signage.
- Heaths Road pedestrian crossing and footpath on Heaths Road and Old Geelong Road near 7-Eleven closed until Thursday 23 December. Please follow detour signage.
Stay up to date
Sign up for email updates for the Old Geelong Road Level Crossing Removal Project. If you’d like to receive disruptions alerts, text “Old Geelong” to 0427 840 967.