Works notice – Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing, July works
13 Jul 2021
We’re removing the dangerous and congested level crossing at Old Geelong Road in Hoppers Crossing by building a new road bridge, directly connecting Princes Highway to Old Geelong Road.
Major works are underway to build the new road bridge at Old Geelong Road and a new pedestrian and cyclist overpass at Hoppers Crossing Station. This letter provides an overview of construction activities and changes to the way you’ll travel throughout July 2021.
Throughout July, we’ll:
- pour concrete and install traffic barriers on the new road bridge
- continue building the new pedestrian and cyclist overpass, including assembling and installing the lift shafts
- begin road widening works on Old Geelong Road, Heaths Road and Princes Highway
- continue building the retaining walls and approaches for the new road bridge and relocating utilities
- install lighting, traffic signal foundations and barriers for the road bridge on and off ramps, south of Princes Highway.
Road widening works
We’re widening Old Geelong Road to allow motorists to turn on and off the new road bridge and accommodate the traffic changes in the area. From 7 July to mid September, we’ll temporarily change the way you move between 76 and 102 Old Geelong Road (Werribee bound). See the map below for these changes.
What to expect
We’ll work Monday to Friday from 7am to 5pm, and Saturdays 7am to 1pm. At times we will need to work outside our normal hours, including overnight during the week, and during the day on Sundays. We’ll notify impacted residents and businesses in advance.
You may notice construction noise, lighting and machine activity. Please follow signage and instructions from traffic management.
Upcoming night works
We’ll work overnight at times between 12 July and 30 July to assemble the main span of the new pedestrian and cyclist overpass near Hoppers Crossing Station.
From 8.30pm Friday 30 July to 5am Monday 2 August, we’ll work 24 hours a day during works in the rail corridor to lift the main span of the new pedestrian and cyclist overpass into place. We’ll notify impacted residents and businesses in advance.
Changes to the way you travel
- Buses replace trains between Newport and Werribee from 8.30pm Friday 30 July to last train Sunday 1 August. For more information and all upcoming travel changes on the Werribee line, visit the PTV website or call 1800 800 007.
- Westbound lanes on Princes Highway will be closed overnight between Princes Freeway and Old Geelong Road between 9pm and 5am on Thursday 15 July, Friday 16 July and Saturday 17 July
- Eastbound lanes on Princes Highway will be closed overnight between Old Geelong Road and Princes Freeway between 9pm and 5am on Saturday 17 July, Sunday 18 July and Monday 19 July
- Southbound and northbound lane closures on Old Geelong Road at the level crossing, between Princes Highway and Morris Road from 7am Friday 30 July to 7am Monday 2 August. Two way traffic flow will be maintained.
- Day and overnight lane closures and reduced speeds will be in place at times in July on Old Geelong Road, Morris Road, Heaths Road and Princes Highway throughout July so we can work safely.
There may be additional disruptions in the area due to works on the Western Roads Upgrade. Visit the Major Roads website for more information.
Pedestrian and cyclist
From Friday 30 July to Sunday 1 August, there may be short delays on the Federation Trail in Hoppers Crossing while we complete nearby drainage works. Please allow an extra five minutes for your trip. Traffic management will be in place.
Stay up to date
- Sign up for email updates via our website
- SMS “Hoppers” to 0438 479 376 to sign up for text messages about our project works
- Call us on 1800 105 105 or email email@example.com
We’ll make every effort to complete works on schedule, however dates are subject to change. Thank you for your patience while these works continue.