Works notice – Old Geelong Road February works
27 Jan 2022
We removed the dangerous level crossing at Old Geelong Road in Hoppers Crossing by building a new road bridge over the rail line, directly connecting Old Geelong Road to Princes Highway.
Works are continuing in 2022 as we upgrade local roads and intersections, finish building a new pedestrian and cyclist overpass and improved community spaces at Hoppers Crossing Station, and upgrade the Hoppers Junction car park. This letter provides an overview of construction activities and changes to the way you’ll travel from late January and throughout February.
Works on the Old Geelong Road Level Crossing Removal Project are being carried out with COVIDSafe Plans in place to help protect workers and the community.
Upcoming night works
We’ll work Monday to Friday from 7am to 5pm, and Saturdays 7am to 1pm. At times until 7 March, we’ll work until 9pm or overnight and between 7am and 5pm on Sundays at Heaths Road, Morris Road, Princes Highway, Hoppers Lane and the Hoppers Junction car park. Impacted residents and businesses will be notified in advance.
New pedestrian and cyclist overpass at Hoppers Crossing Station opens 18 February
From the night of Friday 18 February, the new overpass will open for safe pedestrian and cyclist access over the rail line between Princes Highway and Old Geelong Road. At this time, the existing pedestrian gates at ground level will close.
We’ll work in the rail corridor 18 February to 24 February. When trains resume on Thursday 24 February, access to Hoppers Crossing Station will be via the new overpass. You can access the overpass using stairs or two oversized lifts at each entrance. The lifts are connected to backup power.
Changes to the way you travel
Buses replace trains on the Werribee line between Laverton and Werribee from 8.30pm Friday 18 February to last train Wednesday 23 February, with extensions to Newport, North Melbourne and Williamstown at times. Please visit the PTV website or call 1800 800 007 for more information and to plan your journey.
Heaths Road and Morris Road intersection upgrade road works
We’re upgrading the intersection of Heaths Road and Morris Road with widened lanes and optimised traffic light timing. While we work, we’ll close some lanes and limit turning movements. Detours will be in place via Morris Road, Old Geelong Road and Heaths Road.
Some turn movements will be closed from 7pm Sunday 30 January to 7pm Sunday 27 February:
- No left turn from Morris Road southbound to Heaths Road
- No right turn from Morris Road northbound to Heaths Road
- No right turn from Heaths Road eastbound into Morris Road
There will be no right turn from Morris Road (southbound) to Heaths Road from 7pm Thursday 24 February to 7pm Sunday 27 February. Traffic will be reduced to a single lane, with southbound movements through the intersection only.
Additional road travel changes
- One lane closed each way on Heaths Road, between Thorpe Avenue and Old Geelong Road (roundabout), from 5pm Monday 31 January to 7am Monday 28 February.
- Western section of the Heaths Road/Old Geelong Road roundabout closed from 7am Monday 28 February to 7am Monday 7 March. Detours via Old Geelong Road, Morris Road and Heaths Road.
- No right turn from Princes Highway into service lane in front of 323 to 327 Princes Highway until late February.
- Service lane exit closed in front of 317 and 319 Princes Highway until April. Please use the exit 80 metres to the west.
- Lane closures and reduced speeds will be in place at times on Old Geelong Road, Morris Road, Heaths Road, Princes Highway, Princes Freeway and Hoppers Lane throughout February. Two way traffic flow will be maintained.
- Up to 55 car spaces will be closed in the southern section of Hoppers Junction car park until 7am Monday 14 February and in the northern section from 7am Monday 14 February to 7am Monday 7 March. Please use remaining spaces, or the 22 spaces for shoppers in the car park at the rear of the shops (off Powell Drive). Additional accessible parking is available in the open sections of the car park and in the Powell Drive car park.
- Eight on-street car parks will be permanently removed on Heaths Road between Thorpe Avenue and Morris Road from Monday 31 January as part of road and intersection upgrade works.
Pedestrian and cyclist
Detours for pedestrians and cyclists are in place at Old Geelong Road and Princes Highway intersection until April, Hoppers Junction car park and surrounding area until Monday 7 March, and Morris Road and Heaths Road intersection from Monday 31 January to Monday 28 February. For your safety, please follow detour signage and instructions from traffic management.
Stay up to date
Stay up to date on the project by subscribing to email updates at via our contact page, or sign up for SMS disruptions alerts by texting “Old Geelong” to 0427 840 967. Get in touch by calling 1800 105 105 or emailing email@example.com.