Works notice – Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing August works
28 Jul 2021
We’re removing the dangerous and congested level crossing at Old Geelong Road in Hoppers Crossing by building a new road bridge, directly connecting Princes Highway to Old Geelong Road.
Major works are continuing as we build the new road bridge at Old Geelong Road and a new pedestrian and cyclist overpass at Hoppers Crossing Station. This letter provides an overview of construction activities and changes to the way you’ll travel throughout August 2021.
Throughout August, we’ll:
- continue building the new road bridge, including installing traffic barriers and architectural screens
- continue works on the new pedestrian and cyclist overpass, including installing lift shafts
- continue road widening works on Old Geelong Road and roadworks on the Princes Highway
- continue building the retaining walls and approaches for the new road bridge
- install lighting, traffic signal foundations and barriers for the road bridge on and off ramps, south of Princes Highway.
Road widening works
We’re continuing to widen Old Geelong Road, which will allow motorists to turn on and off the new road bridge and accommodate the traffic changes in the area. Until mid September, there will be temporary changes to the way you move through the area. See the map below for these changes.
What to expect
We’ll work Monday to Friday from 7am to 5pm, and Saturdays 7am to 1pm. At times we will need to work outside our normal hours, including overnight during the week, and during the day on Sundays. We’ll notify impacted residents and businesses in advance. You may notice construction noise, lighting and machine activity. Please follow signage and instructions from traffic management.
Upcoming night works
From 8.30pm Friday 30 July to 5am Monday 2 August, we’ll work 24 hours a day in the rail corridor to lift the main walkway of the new pedestrian and cyclist overpass into place.
We’ll also work overnight on the pedestrian and cyclist overpass between 22 August and 25 August. Nearby residents and businesses will be notified in advance of these works.
Changes to the way you travel
- Buses replace trains between Newport and Werribee from 8.30pm Friday 30 July to last train Sunday 1 August.
- Buses replace trains between North Melbourne and Werribee train stations from 8.30pm to last service each night, from Sunday 22 August to Wednesday 25 August.
- Southbound and northbound lane closures on Old Geelong Road at the level crossing between Princes Highway and Morris Road from 7am Friday 30 July to 7am Monday 2 August. Two-way traffic flow will be maintained.
- Single eastbound lane closure on Princes Highway between Old Geelong Road and Princes Freeway from 8pm Friday 6 August to 6am Monday 9 August.
For more information and all upcoming travel changes on the Werribee line, visit the PTV website or call 1800 800 007.
Day and overnight lane closures and reduced speeds will be in place at times on Old Geelong Road, Morris Road, Heaths Road and Princes Highway throughout August so we can work safely. Two way traffic flow will be maintained.
There may be additional disruptions in the area due to works on the Western Roads Upgrade.
Visit roadprojects.vic.gov.au/projects/westernroadsupgrade for more information.
Pedestrian and cyclist
From Friday 30 July to Sunday 1 August, there may be short delays on the Federation Trail in Hoppers Crossing while we complete nearby drainage works. While the trail will remain open throughout works, please allow an extra five minutes for your trip. Traffic management will be in place.