Works notice – Night works in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach
20 Aug 2020
The Victorian Government is removing 18 dangerous level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade on the Frankston line, to improve safety, reduce congestion and run more trains, more often.
Construction on the removal of level crossings in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach has been deemed critical under Stage 4 restrictions and works will continue with strict health and safety protocols in place.
Workforce numbers have already been significantly reduced to support directions from the Chief Health Officer.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority.
Under new restrictions workers on these sites are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for an exception such as a medical condition or for OH&S guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
To allow works to be carried out safely there will be a rail closure between 9pm Tuesday 1 September and 3am Monday 7 September 2020.
During this time works will include, relocation and installation of utilities and underground rail services and establishing areas for heavy vehicles and equipment to prepare for major piling works.
As part of these works, the level crossings at Edithvale Road, Edithvale and Bondi Road, Bonbeach will be temporarily closed to vehicles and pedestrians from 6am Wednesday 2 September to 7pm Friday 4 September 2020 to enable underground rail service works.
Buses will replace trains on the Frankston and Stony Point lines between Mordialloc and Frankston from 9pm Tuesday 1 September to 3am Monday 7 September 2020.
During this time construction activities will take place 24/7.
Works taking place
- Installation and relocation of underground services including electrical, signalling and telecommunication cables and pipelines conveying water and sewerage
- Cable hauling, overhead wire transfers and structural erection
- Geotechnical contamination testing of soil and rock
- Installation of underground rail services at Edithvale Road and Bondi Road level crossings
- Establishing areas for heavy vehicles and equipment to prepare for major piling works
What to expect
- Workers, vehicles and equipment in the area, working 24 hours a day
- Level crossing closures at Edithvale Road, Edithvale and Bondi Road, Bonbeach
- Traffic management will be in place to help you move safely through the area
- Some noise and dust from construction activities, which will be monitored and controlled
- Targeted lighting will be used at night and positioned to minimise impacts to residents
- Buses will replace trains on the Frankston and Stony Point lines between Mordialloc and Frankston from 9pm Tuesday 1 September to 3am Monday 7 September 2020.
Communication during Stage 4 restrictions
During Stage 4 restrictions and in line with Government protocols, we are moving to electronic updates. Sign up for email newsletters and SMS alerts via levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/subscribe and 1800 105 105.
If you do not have access to the internet, please call 1800 105 105.
We have paused door knocking and letterbox dropping during this time, but you can speak to the team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling the number above.
Email updates are sent with the latest information about the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach projects during August and September, and our team is regularly updating our website and social media channels with information on works being done.
Please contact us on 1800 105 105 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information about the projects.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project