Works notice – Night works and road closures, Edith Street and Cramer Street
21 Jan 2022
The Victorian Government is removing four dangerous and congested level crossings at Oakover Road, Bell Street, Cramer Street and Murray Road, and building new Bell and Preston Stations. The level crossings will be removed by raising the rail line over the roads, improving safety and accessibility, and delivering new community open spaces.
The Preston Level Crossing Removal Project will commence construction on the new concrete rail bridge between Cramer Street and Bruce Street from Thursday 27 January 2022. Works will occur intermittently at night on both sides of the rail corridor next to Preston City Oval until Monday 14 February.
Due to Department of Transport regulations, delivery of the concrete bridge beams needs to occur at night. Deliveries are heavily dependent on a range of factors including weather. Every effort will be made to complete these works on schedule however, dates are subject to change.
Night works (7pm to 7am)
- On Thursday 27, Friday 28 January and from Monday 31 January until Friday 11 February, concrete rail bridges will be delivered and installed between Bruce Street and Cramer St on the eastern side of the rail corridor (Preston City oval)
- Between Monday 31 January and Saturday 5 February work will start on the western side of the rail corridor (Edith Street) to prepare the concrete bridge structures
- From 8pm Thursday 10 February 2022 until 7am Monday 14 February construction of the rail bridge on the western side of the rail corridor will commence. These works will require a full closure of Edith St with driveway access impacted.
Day works (7am to 7pm)
- On Monday 31 January, Tuesday 1 February and Tuesday 8 February Cramer Street will be closed. (See traffic changes for details)
- From Tuesday 8 to Wednesday 9 February the team will reduce the existing hardstand within our worksite on Edith Street.
Traffic and pedestrian changes
- Full closure from Bruce St to Cramer St from 8pm Thursday 10 February until 7am Monday 14 February. Driveways between Bruce Street and Cramer Street will not be accessible
- Pedestrian access will be maintained
- Closed from St Georges Road to the level crossing, from 10.30pm until 5am each night from Thursday 10 February to Monday 14 February
- Closed at the level crossing from 7am to 7pm on Monday 31 January, Tuesday 1 February and Tuesday 8 February.
- The Cramer Street pedestrian crossing will be closed with detours in place via St Georges Road and High Street from 8pm to 6am on Thursday 27 January and 7am to 7pm Monday 31 January, Tuesday 1 February and Tuesday 8 February.
What to expect
- Some noise and dust from construction machinery
- An increase in construction workforce and vehicles in the area
- Late night/early morning truck deliveries of rail bridge segments
- Temporary lighting towers and generators in place for night works
Health and Safety
Works on the Preston Level Crossing Removal Project are being carried out with COVIDSafe Plans in place to help protect workers and the community.
For more information and advice about coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the Coronavirus website.
To keep up to date with driveway access changes on Edith Street, please sign up to receive SMS updates by texting EDITH to 0428 581 917
Every effort will be made to complete these works on schedule however dates are subject to change.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the project, call us on 1800 105 105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours a day, seven days a week.