Works notice – Hallam Road level crossing removal
06 Dec 2021
We’re removing the dangerous and congested level crossing at Hallam Road, Hallam, and building a brand-new Hallam Station.
This is an overview of construction activities, station changes and changed traffic conditions around Hallam Station from early December to the end of the year.
Works are continuing safely on the Hallam Road level crossing removal with COVIDSafe plans in place to help protect workers and the community.
Strict processes are in place to check and record the vaccination status of workers entering construction sites.
For more information about coronavirus COVID-19, please visit the Coronavirus website.
Upcoming construction works and related disruptions
Works and Disruptions
Hallam Station car park changes
UPDATE: The north-west section of the Hallam Station car park will remain closed until late January 2022.
Limited station parking (including accessible parking bays) and kiss and ride drop-off zones will be available via the Hallam Road entry/exit to the carpark.
Alternative commuter parking, including additional accessible parking bays, will continue to be available to the east of Hallam Road (behind the businesses at 84 Hallam Road). Please follow the signs and allow additional time when parking driving to the station.
Hallam Road closed for night works
Hallam Road will be closed at the level crossing between 9pm and 6am each night between Monday 13 December and Friday 17 December, as crews undertake works on the road and around Hallam Station.
Detours will be in place via Pound Road, South Gippsland Freeway and Princes Highway. See map for detour routes.
Day and night works in December (Monday to Sunday)
At various times throughout December, crews may be required to throughout the day and night, including weekends, to continue constructing the new station and rail bridge and ensuring services like drainage are connected.
Advance notice: 24/7 works around Hallam Station in January
From Thursday 13 January 2022 to Wednesday 26 January 2022, crews will work throughout the day and night in the rail corridor and around Hallam Station.
Hallam Station will be closed during this time with buses replacing trains. Further information will be provided closer to these works.
Rail passenger disruptions in December
Buses will replace trains on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines on these dates:
Please allow extra time when planning your journey during these times.
For more information on rail disruptions, please see the signage at Hallam Station, or visit the PTV website.
Please note the dates and times for above works are subject to change due to adverse weather and unforeseen program changes.
For more information on upcoming disruptions, please visit our website.
What we’re doing
From early December to the end of the year our construction crews will:
- Deliver, install, and begin the fit out of the new station buildings and lift shafts
- Mobilise cranes and other machinery
- Continue earthworks and construction of retaining walls in the rail corridor to the east and west of Hallam Road
- Conduct drainage and carpark construction works
- Install services to support train and station operations
What to expect
- Except for weekend and night works noted above, works will occur during standard construction hours (7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 1pm Saturday). Occasionally crews may work until 6pm on Saturdays
- Construction noise from machinery including excavators, cranes, rollers, non-destructive digging machinery, trucks and light towers.
- An increased number of delivery and construction vehicles accessing the site compound and the rail corridor via access points on Hallam Road, Rimfire Drive, Centre Road, O’Grady Road, as well as Star Crescent
- Traffic management on Hallam Road and pedestrian traffic management to safely guide pedestrians around the works areas. Please follow the directions from traffic management staff
- Intermittent lane closures (including full road closures on occasion) and reduced speed to 40km/h on Hallam Road for the project duration. It is advised to expect delays when planning your journey.
- Crews will take a break over the holiday period, with no work planned between 22 December and 10 January.
Keeping in touch
If you have any questions or concerns about these works or the Hallam Road level crossing removal project, please contact the Level Crossing Removal Project on 1800 105 105 or send us an email via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hallam Road detour options for nightly road closures between 13 December and 17 December