Works notice – Hallam Road level crossing removal, mid September to late October works
30 Aug 2021
We’re removing the dangerous and congested level crossing at Hallam Road, Hallam, and building a brand-new Hallam Station.
This is an overview of construction activities, station changes and changed traffic conditions around Hallam Station from mid-September to late-October 2021.
The Hallam Road level crossing removal project has been designated a critical state infrastructure project under the latest restrictions. Work is continuing safety with strict COVIDSafe plans in place and we’ll continue to comply with all directions from the Chief Health Officer.
We are managing the number of staff attending our worksites, as well as implementing preventative measures to ensure community safety.
Safety measures across the site include temperature screening, additional protective equipment including masks, daily health screening of workers, enhanced cleaning, staggered shifts and break times, and physical distancing.
For more information about coronavirus (COVID-19) visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au.
Upcoming construction works and related disruptions
WORKS AND DISRUPTIONS
Day and night works
(Monday – Sunday)
UPDATE: From Friday 10 September to Friday 17 September, crews will work throughout the day and night in the rail corridor and around Hallam Station to build the rail bridge superstructure and install services.
From Mid-September to late October 2021, pre-cast bridge segments will be delivered day and night. Crews will regularly work throughout the day and night to install pre-cast segments for the rail bridge superstructure adjacent to the existing station and rail line.
There will be periods where crews will work consecutive 24-hour days.
Full road closures, Hallam South Road
UPDATE: From late August to Thursday 16 September between 9pm - 6am there will, at times, be overnight closures of Hallam South Road between Pound Road and Princes Highway:
Please check digital message boards on Hallam South Road for up-to-date information.
Pedestrian footpath closures, Hallam South Road
UPDATE: From Wednesday 8 September to Sunday 12 September between 9pm and 6am each night, pedestrian access across the level crossing on Hallam South Road will be closed at times, while precast bridge beams are installed over Hallam South Road.
Rail passenger disruptions
Buses will replace trains on various nights and weekends on the Pakenham Line in September and October for the delivery and installation of the pre-cast elements as part of the rail bridge construction.
Buses will replace trains:
There may be additional nights and weekends where buses replace trains on the Pakenham Line in October. For details, please see the signage at Hallam Station, or visit http://www.ptv.vic.gov.au
Please note the dates for above works are subject to change due to adverse weather and unforeseen program changes.
For more information on upcoming disruptions, please visit our disruptions webpage.
What we’re doing
From mid-September to late-October our construction crews will:
- Deliver and install large pre-cast concrete bridge segments, day and night
- Excavate structural foundations and build the piers for the new bridge structure
- Mobilise cranes and other machinery
- Construct retaining walls in the east and west rail corridor
- Install hoarding and services on the rail bridge
- Excavate foundations for overhead line structures in the rail corridor
- Build the platform deck on the rail bridge
- Commence works to relocate sewer assets to make way for the new station entrance
What to expect
- Construction noise from machinery including excavators, cranes, rollers, non-destructive digging machinery, trucks and light towers. Nearby residents and businesses may notice increased noise and vibration
- Increased deliveries and construction vehicle access to site compound and the rail corridor via access points on Hallam South Road, Rimfire Drive, Centre Road and O’Grady Road
- Traffic management on Hallam South Road and pedestrian traffic management to safely guide pedestrians around the works areas. Please follow the directions from traffic management staff
- Intermittent lane closures and reduced speed to 40km/h on Hallam South Road for the project duration. Expect increased travel time and plan your journey.
Keeping in touch
If you have any questions or concerns about these works or the Hallam Road level crossing removal project, please contact the Level Crossing Removal Project on 1800 105 105 or send us an email via email@example.com.