Works notice – Hallam Road level crossing removal, August works
23 Jul 2021
We’re removing the dangerous and congested level crossing at Hallam Road, Hallam, and building a brand-new Hallam Station.
This is an overview of construction activities, station changes and changed traffic conditions around Hallam Station from Monday 2 August to Sunday 15 August 2021.
Works on the Hallam Road level crossing removal continue with strict health and safety protocols in place. Community and worker health and safety remains our key priority as we follow Department of Health directions to safely complete works.
Update: Station Carpark Changes
The previously advised closures of five car spaces in the northern station carpark from Monday 19 July for up to one month, has been increased and the start date changed.
There will now be rotating closures of six car spaces in the northern station carpark from Tuesday 27 July for up to one month, while crews undertake service investigation works. Short detours with traffic management may be required at times.
Upcoming Construction works and related disruptions
From early August, works will commence on the construction of the above-ground structures for the new rail bridge over Hallam South Road.
Nearby residents and businesses may notice increased deliveries and construction activities in the rail corridor to the east and west of Hallam Station during this time.
WORKS AND DISRUPTIONS
Day and night works
(Monday – Sunday)
From Monday 2 August to Sunday 15 August, pre-cast bridge segments will be delivered day and night. Crews will regularly work throughout the day and night to install pre-cast segments for the rail bridge superstructure adjacent to the existing station and rail line. There will be periods where crews will work consecutive 24-hour days.
From Friday 13 August to Monday 16 August, crews will work throughout the day and night in the rail corridor and around Hallam Station to build the rail bridge superstructure and undertake service location works.
Changed traffic conditions, Hallam South Road
Ongoing speed restrictions, intermittent lane closures and traffic management will be in place on Hallam South Road throughout August.
Hallam South Road
Weekend works and lane closure, Sunday 15 August
From 7am to 6pm on Sunday 15 August, there will be a northbound lane closure on Hallam South Road between Centre Road and Keppel Drive while crews undertake utilities works. Traffic flow will be maintained in both directions, with traffic management crews in place to safely guide vehicles and pedestrians around the works area. Access to local businesses will be maintained.
Night lane closures, August 2021
At times throughout August, there will be night lane closures on Hallam South Road between Centre Road and Keppel Drive to facilitate large deliveries. Traffic flow in both directions will be maintained, with traffic management crews in place to safely guide vehicles and pedestrians around works areas. More information will be provided closer to these works.
Rail passenger disruptions
Please note the dates for above works are subject to change due to adverse weather and unforeseen program changes.
What we’re doing
From Monday 2 August to Sunday 15 August 2021 our construction crews will:
- Relocate power services underground alongside Hallam South Road
- Excavate and drill structural foundations in the east and west rail corridor to construct the new bridge structure
- Undertake ground preparation works
- Mobilise cranes and other machinery
- Deliver large pre-cast concrete bridge segments, day and night
- Build the piers and install pre-cast segments for the new rail bridge structure
- Construct retaining walls in the east and west rail corridor
- Establish a working platform adjacent to the rail corridor
- Install the foundations for new overhead rail line structures on the bridge retaining walls.
What to expect
- Construction noise from machinery including excavators, piling rigs, rollers, non-destructive digging machinery, trucks and light towers. Nearby residents and businesses may notice increased noise and vibration.
- Increased deliveries and construction vehicle access to site compound and the rail corridor via access points on Hallam South Road, Rimfire Drive, Centre Road and O’Grady Road.
- Traffic management on Hallam South Road and pedestrian traffic management to safely guide pedestrians around the works areas. Please follow the directions from traffic management staff.
- Intermittent lane closures and reduced speed to 40km on Hallam South Road for the project duration. Expect increased travel time and plan your journey.
Keeping in touch
If you have any questions or concerns about these works or the Hallam Road level crossing removal project, please contact the Level Crossing Removal Project on 1800 105 105 or send us an email via email@example.com.