Works notice – Edithvale underground service relocations
29 Sep 2020
The Victorian Government is removing 18 dangerous level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade on the Frankston line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and allow more trains to run more often.
Construction on the removal of level crossings in Edithvale has been deemed critical under Stage 4 restrictions and works will continue with strict health and safety protocols in place.
Workforce numbers have already been significantly reduced to support directions from the Chief Health Officer.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority.
Under new restrictions workers on these sites are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for an exception such as a medical condition or for OH&S guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
Works taking place
To prepare for level crossing removal works in Edithvale underground utility services such as water, sewer and gas are being upgraded and relocated to enable the rail line to be lowered into a trench.
These works will take place along Station Street and Nepean Highway in Edithvale from October until late November.
Barriers have been installed along Station Street between Edithvale Road and Northcliffe Road to create a safe work zone.
Changes to the way you travel
The Edithvale Road level crossing will be closed to vehicles for up to two days in mid to late October. Digital signage will advise of the closure in advance and the detours in place. Pedestrian access will be maintained.
As part of service relocation works, there will be some changes to how you travel through the area:
- Station Street: Lane closures, removal of on-street parking and bicycle lane closures while works are taking place. Traffic will be maintained in both directions.
- Nepean Highway: Lane closures and removal of on-street parking while works are taking place. Traffic will be maintained in both directions.
- Correa Street, Fraser Avenue, Bapaume Avenue, Bank Road, The Esplanade and Denman Avenue: Road closures, lane closures and impacts to on-street parking at times while works are taking place. Access to local traffic will be maintained where possible and local detours will be in place.
Traffic management will be in place to help drivers, cyclists and pedestrians move safely through the area.
What to expect
- There will be moderate noise from machinery, such as excavators, while works take place.
- Construction workers, vehicles and equipment will be onsite undertaking the works.
- Most works will take place 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 5pm Saturdays.
- Night works will be required in some locations between Wednesday 7 October and Monday 19 October. We will provide advance notice to impacted residents.
- Targeted lighting will be used at night and positioned to minimise impacts to residents.
- Driveway access may be impacted at a small number of properties during these works. We will provide advance notice to impacted residents.
Side-road closures are expected while we upgrade and relocate underground services in Edithvale as part of level crossing removal works. On-street signage will advise of the dates of side-road closures.
Communication during Stage 4 restrictions
During Stage 4 restrictions and in line with Government protocols, we are moving to electronic updates. Sign up for email newsletters and SMS alerts via levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/subscribe.
We have paused door knocking and letterbox dropping during this time, but you can speak to the team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling the number above.
Email updates are sent with the latest information about the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removals, and our team is regularly updating our website and social media channels with information on works being done.
If you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information, contact us on 1800 105 105 or firstname.lastname@example.org