Works notice – Edithvale piling works
01 Oct 2020
The Victorian Government is removing 18 dangerous level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade on the Frankston line, to improve safety, reduce congestion and run more trains, more often.
Construction on the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal projects has been deemed critical under Stage 4 restrictions and works will continue with strict health and safety protocols in place.
Workforce numbers have already been significantly reduced to support directions from the Chief Health Officer.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority.
Under new restrictions workers on these sites are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for an exception such as a medical condition or for OH&S guidelines. Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
Works taking place
We’re starting piling works to strengthen the ground in preparation for lowering the Frankston line into a rail trench. Between the hours of 12pm and 6am Monday 5 October a piling rig will arrive between Lochiel Avenue and Edithvale Station.
From 7am to 7pm Tuesday 6 October safety barriers will be installed along Station Street to create a safe work zone.
Piling works will then start, taking place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 7am to 3.30pm Saturdays.
- The bike lane and parking lane on Station Street will be temporarily closed from Birdwood Street in Aspendale to the Patterson River, Bonbeach to enable works to safely take place.
What to expect
- Delivery and assembly of piling rig in Edithvale.
- Construction of hardstand areas along the rail corridor to support the piling rigs.
- Delivery of sheet piles and other materials and equipment to site.
- Installation of sheet piles along the rail corridor from Edithvale to Bonbeach.
- Up to six piling rigs will be operating at different times across Edithvale, Chelsea, and Bonbeach.
- Construction workers, vehicles and equipment will be onsite undertaking the works.
- There will be moderate noise and vibrations from machinery such as excavators and piling rigs
- Safety barriers will be in place along Nepean Highway and Station Street from Aspendale to Bonbeach.
- Utility relocation works will be ongoing until late 2020
- Local detours and traffic management will be in place to help you move safely through the area.
- Works will take place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 7am to 3.30pm Saturdays. To ensure worksite safety, working hours may occasionally be extended to 7pm on weekdays.
Piling location maps
Aspendale to Chelsea:
Chelsea to Patterson River:
Dates subject to change
Communication during Stage 4 restrictions
During Stage 4 restrictions and in line with Government protocols, we are moving to electronic updates. Sign up for email newsletters and SMS alerts via levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/subscribe.
If you do not have access to the internet, please call 1800 105 105. We have paused door knocking and letterbox dropping during this time, but you can speak to the team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling the number above.
Email updates are sent with the latest information about the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach projects, and our team is regularly updating our website and social media channels with information on works being done.
If you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information, contact us on 1800 105 105 or email@example.com