Works notice – Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach piling works
01 Sep 2020
The Victorian Government is removing 18 dangerous level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade on the Frankston line, to improve safety, reduce congestion and run more trains, more often.
Construction on the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal projects has been deemed critical under Stage 4 restrictions and works will continue with strict health and safety protocols in place.
Workforce numbers have already been significantly reduced to support directions from the Chief Health Officer.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority.
Under new restrictions workers on these sites are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for an exception such as a medical condition or for OH&S guidelines. Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
The next major steps for the project are piling works. Piling is when we dig vertically into the ground and fill the holes with concrete to create strong foundations, and ensure the security and stability of the rail trench walls.
Piling is scheduled to commence on Monday 21 September 2020 and will continue until mid 2021, starting on Station Street between Swanpool Avenue and Chelsea Road from 29 September until 20 November.
- From Birdwood Street in Aspendale to the Patterson River in Bonbeach, the Nepean Highway will be reduced to two northbound lanes and one southbound lane
- The bike lane on Station Street will be temporarily closed from Birdwood Street in Aspendale to the Patterson River, Bonbeach.
Works taking place
- Delivery and assembly of 6 piling rigs
- Excavation and concreting of the piles along the rail corridor from Edithvale to Bonbeach.
What to expect
- 6 piling rigs will be operating at different times across Edithvale, Chelsea, and Bonbeach
- Construction workers, vehicles and equipment will be onsite undertaking the works
- There will be moderate noise from machinery such as excavators and piling rigs, while works take place
- Local detours and traffic management will be in place to help you move safely through the area
- Safety barriers will be in place along Nepean Highway and Station Street from Aspendale to Bonbeach
- Works will take place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 7am to 3.30pm Saturdays.
Piling location maps
Aspendale to Chelsea:
Chelsea to Patterson River:
Communication during Stage 4 restrictions
During Stage 4 restrictions and in line with Government protocols, we are moving to electronic updates. Sign up for email newsletters and SMS alerts via levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/subscribe. If you do not have access to the internet, please call 1800 105 105.
We have paused door knocking and letterbox dropping during this time, but you can speak to the team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling the number above.
Email updates are sent with the latest information about the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach projects, and our team is regularly updating our website and social media channels with information on works being done.
If you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information contact us on 1800 105 105 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project