Works notice – Clyde Road, works in your area this September
24 Aug 2021
The Victorian Government is removing 17 dangerous level crossings, including the one at Clyde Road, as part of a $16 billion investment to upgrade the Pakenham line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and allow more trains to run more often.
Major works are underway to build the new Clyde Road underpass and improve local connections.
Throughout September we will:
- continue to relocate underground services
- continue installing storm water drainage along Clyde Road
- continue piling and structural works to prepare the foundations for the new road underpass.
We’ll also begin preparing the road underpass ahead of major works in 2022.
Upcoming 24/7 works
We will work around the clock from 9pm Friday 10 September until 7pm Sunday 12 September, while buses replace trains on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines.
During this time, works in the rail corridor will include:
- piling for new rail infrastructure and removing old rail infrastructure
- installing underground rail services and drainage
- vegetation removal and underground service proving, to prepare the rail corridor for construction.
Some additional out of hours works may be required throughout September. We’ll notify impacted residents ahead of night works and minimise impacts where possible.
What to expect
- Large machinery onsite and increased heavy vehicle activity around the level crossing
- Moderate construction noise, dust and vibrations
- Pedestrian and cyclist detours to help you move safely through the area
- Lane closures, reduced speed limits and traffic management along Clyde Road, Berwick Station car park and local roads.
Changes in your area
Buses replace trains on the Pakenham Line
- Buses replace trains between Westall, Cranbourne and Pakenham from 8.30pm Friday 10 September until last service Sunday 12 September
- To plan your journey, visit the PTV website ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007.
- Pedestrian access will be closed across the level crossing and along the western and eastern side of Clyde Road between Berwick Station and Kangan Drive from 7am Saturday 11 September until 7pm Sunday 12 September. See map below.
- Pedestrians can access Berwick Station via Reserve Street or Kangan Drive.
Local access to businesses remains open.
Car parking changes
- The southern car park at Berwick Station is closed until early 2023, to enable construction of the new Bus Interchange and Multi-Deck Car Park
- Some additional parking in the northern car park at Berwick Station will also be closed throughout September for level crossing works.
For more information on disruptions and changes in the area visit https://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/projects/clyde-road-berwick#
Major works in 2022
A temporary closure of the Pakenham line and Clyde Road will be required in early 2022. We’ll provide more information closer to the time about what to expect.
Health and safety
The Clyde Road Level Crossing Removal Project has been designated a critical state infrastructure project under the latest restrictions. Work is continuing safety with strict COVIDSafe plans in place and we’ll continue to comply with all directions from the Chief Health Officer.
We are managing the number of staff attending our worksites, as well as implementing preventative measures to ensure community safety.
Safety measures across the site include temperature screening, additional protective equipment including masks, daily health screening of workers, enhanced cleaning, staggered shifts and break times, and physical distancing.
For more information about coronavirus (COVID-19) visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au.