Works notice – Chelsea piling works
26 Oct 2020
The Victorian Government is removing 18 dangerous level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade on the Frankston line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and run more trains, more often.
Works are continuing the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal project with strict health and safety protocols in place.
The health and safety of our workers and the community will remain our key priority as we undertake works on the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal project.
We will continue to follow the directions of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) as we safely complete works on this project.
Works taking place
We’re continuing sheet piling works in preparation for the removal of level crossings in Chelsea. Steel sheets will be driven into the ground along the rail corridor, forming retaining walls for the new rail trench.
Between 12am and 6am on one night in the week starting Monday 2 November 2020, a piling rig and crane will be moved from Swan Walk, Chelsea to a location near Catherine Avenue, Chelsea. Piling works will take place through this section from until February 2021. Works will take place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 7am to 3.30pm Saturdays.
There will be no works or closures from Monday 21 December to Sunday 10 January 2021 inclusive as we will not be undertaking works over the Christmas period.
- The bike lane and parking lane on Station Street is now temporarily closed from Birdwood Street in Aspendale to the Patterson River, Bonbeach to enable works to safely take place.
- Lane and road impacts on Station Street may occur to facilitate piling rig and crane movements at night. Traffic management will be in place to maintain traffic in both directions.
What to expect
- Lights and truck movements during the floating of the piling rig along Station Street.
- Closure of pedestrian paths on Station Street between the Chelsea Station underpass and Argyle Avenue.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained with detours in place
- Construction of hardstand areas along the rail corridor to support the piling rigs.
- Delivery of sheet piles and other materials, equipment and machinery to site.
- Installation of piles along the rail corridor between Chelsea Road and Argyle Avenue
- Up to six piling rigs will be operating at different times across Edithvale, Chelsea, and Bonbeach.
- Construction workers, vehicles and equipment will be onsite undertaking the works.
- There will be moderate noise and vibrations from machinery such as excavators and piling rigs
- Safety barriers will be in place along Nepean Highway and Station Street from Aspendale to Bonbeach.
- Utility relocation works will be ongoing until early 2021
- Local detours and traffic management will be in place to help you move safely through the area.
- Works will take place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 7am to 3.30pm Saturdays. To ensure worksite safety, working hours may occasionally be extended to 7pm on weekdays
Aspendale to Chelsea:
Chelsea to Patterson River:
Communication during Stage 4 restrictions
During Stage 4 restrictions and in line with Government protocols, we are moving to electronic updates. Sign up for email newsletters and SMS alerts via levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/subscribe and 1800 105 105.
Email updates are sent with the latest information about the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach project, and our team is regularly updating our website and social media channels with information on works being done.
You can sign up to text message alerts for major traffic and construction impacts for the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach Level Crossing Removal Project by texting ‘ECB’ to 0429 839 892.
We have paused door knocking and letterbox dropping during this time, but you can speak to the team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please contact us on 1800 105 105 or email@example.com if you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information about the project.