Works notice – Bonbeach piling works November
29 Oct 2020
The Victorian Government is removing 18 dangerous level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade on the Frankston line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and run more trains, more often.
Works are continuing on the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal project with strict health and safety protocols in place.
The health and safety of our workers and the community will remain our key priority as we undertake works on the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal project.
We will continue to follow the directions of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) as we safely complete works on this project.
Works taking place
We’re starting sheet piling works in preparation for the removal of the level crossing at Bondi Road, Bonbeach. Steel sheets will be driven into the ground along the rail corridor, forming retaining walls for the new rail trench.
To create a safe work zone, barriers will be installed on Station St (York to Breeze St) and the Nepean Highway (Wellwood Rd to Bonbeach station) from early November.
Between 12am and 6am on one night in the week commencing Monday 16 November a piling rig will delivered to a location on Station Street between Broadway and Bondi Road. Piling works then take place through this section until late-December 2020 (see map for locations). Works will take place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 7am to 3.30pm Saturdays.
There will be no works or closures from Monday 21 December to Sunday 10 January 2021 inclusive as we will not be undertaking works over the Christmas period.
- Temporary closure of the bike and parking lanes on Station Street, and a southbound lane of the Nepean Highway until mid-2022 to enable works to safely take place.
- Lane and road impacts on Station Street may occur to facilitate piling rig and crane movements at night. Traffic management will be in place to maintain traffic in both directions.
What to expect
- Lights and truck movements during the floating of the piling rig along Station Street.
- Construction of hardstand areas along the rail corridor to support the piling rigs.
- Delivery of sheet piles and other materials, equipment and machinery to site.
- Installation of piles along the rail corridor from Broadway to Bondi Road.
- Up to six piling rigs will be operating at different times across Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach.
- Construction workers, vehicles and equipment will be onsite undertaking the works.
- There will be moderate noise and vibrations from machinery such as excavators, cranes and piling rigs
- Safety barriers will be in place along Nepean Highway and Station Street from Aspendale to Bonbeach.
- Utility relocation works will be ongoing until early 2021
- Local detours and traffic management to help you move safely through the area.
Works will take place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 7am to 3.30pm Saturdays. To ensure worksite safety, working hours may occasionally be extended to 7pm on weekdays.
Aspendale to Chelsea:
Chelsea to Patterson River:
Dates subject to change
Stay up to date
Email updates are sent with the latest information about the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach project, and our team is regularly updating our website and social media channels with information on works. You can sign up for email updates on our website
Text message alerts are sent for major traffic and construction impacts for the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach Level Crossing Removal Project. To receive these text ‘ECB’ to 0429 839 892
If you would like to speak to a member of the project team or would like more information about the project you can contact us via the contact centre 24/7 at 1800 105 105 or firstname.lastname@example.org