Works notice – Site investigations for the Parkdale Level Crossing Removal Project
10 Sep 2021
The Victorian Government is removing 20 dangerous level crossings and building 13 new stations as part of a $3 billion-plus upgrade of the Frankston line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and allow for more trains, more often. The level crossings at Warrigal Road and Parkers Road are 2 of the level crossings to be removed. This project will also include the construction of a new Parkdale Station.
Initial technical assessments have determined a rail over road solution is the best design for removing the level crossings at Warrigal Road and Parkers Road. This preliminary work will now be informed by detailed on the ground engineering investigations. These technical investigations, as well as community input, will assist in the development of concept designs for the project.
We will be starting community engagement with virtual information sessions in late September, running multiple sessions at different times over 2 weeks. These sessions will be advertised soon.
We will be conducting a range of site investigations in the Parkdale area from mid September until the end of November.
These works will involve:
- survey and ground investigations to help us understand more about local conditions
- investigations of underground utilities to confirm their location and extent
- inspections of existing flora and fauna.
These works will help the project team understand more about the local area and support design development.
Works will move progressively along the rail corridor, starting with survey investigations in mid September. Ground investigation work will start in late September and utility and flora and fauna investigations in October.
Approximately 5 parking spaces on the rail side of Como Parade West will be temporarily occupied for worker equipment from late September for around 3 weeks.
This map shows the location of investigation works and occupied car parks.
Works taking place
- Workers visually surveying the rail corridor and taking measurements with survey equipment
- Drilling boreholes and digging holes in various locations along the rail line, Como Parade East and West and in nearby roads using excavators, high-pressure water spray fitted to a small truck and drill rigs
- Reinstatement of areas impacted by works.
What to expect
- Multiple workers across the site, vehicles and equipment onsite undertaking the works.
- Possible speed reductions and lane closures. Traffic management will be in place to help you move safely through the area.
- Activities will take place from 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and from 7am to 1pm Saturdays. If any works are required outside these times, we will let you know.
Health and safety
The health and safety of our workers and the community remains our key priority throughout these works on the Parkdale Level Crossing Removal Project. For more information about coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the Coronavirus website.