Hurstbridge Line Upgrade Stage 2 community update – January 2020
23 Jan 2020
The first stage of the Hurstbridge line upgrade delivered two extra weekday services, a brand new station in Rosanna and removed two dangerous and congested level crossings at Alphington and Rosanna.
The second stage will further improve the Hurstbridge line by duplicating two sections of rail track between Greensborough and Montmorency, and Diamond Creek and Wattle Glen. The project will also deliver a new station at Greensborough and upgrades at Montmorency station.
This upgrade will allow for two additional express services from Hurstbridge during the morning peak and more frequent train services on the Hurstbridge line.
The improvements will include:
- more regular train services from Greensborough, Montmorency, Eltham, Diamond Creek and Wattle Glen and Hurstbridge in the morning peak
- duplication of around 3 kilometres of track between the suburbs of Greensborough and Montmorency
- duplication of around 1.5 kilometres of track between Diamond Creek and Wattle Glen
- a new and modern station at Greensborough
- an upgrade to Montmorency station
- train stabling improvements at Victoria Park
- rail system and signalling upgrades along the Hurstbridge line, including at Clifton Hill.
Train stabling improvements at Victoria Park
To increase the frequency of train services on the Hurstbridge line, we will make improvements to existing train stabling facilities at Victoria Park in Abbotsford. Train stabling yards are where trains are parked whilst not in operation.
The existing train stabling facilities, located on the rail bridge above the Eastern Freeway, will be improved to operate on a 24 hour basis. This will include local lighting upgrades near the stabling area and a small number of car parking spaces on vacant rail land next to Lulie Street in Abbotsford.
The 24 hour operation of this facility means trains can be parked overnight to start early in the morning to increase the number of services on the line.
Clifton Hill Junction works
Signalling and track upgrades will be undertaken at the Clifton Hill junction where the Hurstbridge and Mernda lines meet. These upgrades will allow for more trains to pass through the junction.
Site investigations underway
We are currently undertaking surveys and investigations along sections of the Hurstbridge rail line to progress planning for the second stage of the Hurstbridge Line Upgrade.
As part of this, we will need to undertake investigations in the rail reserve in the Clifton Hill and Abbotsford area, including near Victoria Park Station, and in and around Lulie Street and Johnston Street, Abbotsford.
Works will take place from January to March 2020, generally between 7am and 6pm Monday to Saturday. Due to safety requirements some night works will also occur within the rail corridor, after trains stop running, as well as in and around local roads.
What we are doing:
- feature and environment surveys
- noise monitoring
- flora and fauna investigations
- cultural and heritage investigations
- locating existing service utilities, such as gas, water, electricity, telecommunications and sewerage
- geotechnical drilling investigations to learn about the ground conditions.
We will minimise disruption to local residents and businesses while we undertake these essential works. Traffic and pedestrian management will be in place to ensure that you can move safely through the area.
While the works are not expected to be disruptive, you may notice some machinery noise and changes to speed limits to manage safety of workers and road users. Night works are not expected to be noisy.
|2019 - 2020|
Please note the timeline above is subject to change.