Hurstbridge line upgrade community update - May 2019
15 May 2019
Planning work for stage two underway
We’re getting to work on the Hurstbridge Line Upgrade Stage 2, allowing more trains and fewer delays for commuters in Melbourne’s north east.
Extensive upgrades to the Hurstbridge line were completed in 2018, including the new Rosanna Station, the duplication of the railway track between Rosanna and Heidelberg, and the removal of dangerous level crossings at Rosanna and Alphington.
Work on the second stage of the upgrade is set to begin in early 2020.
This work includes:
- a new station at Greensborough
- the duplication of three kilometres of track between Greensborough and Eltham, while retaining Eltham Trestle Bridge
- the duplication of 1.5 kilometres of track between Diamond Creek and Wattle Glen.
These upgrades will address key pressure points on the Hurstbridge line allowing more train services to run.
Passengers can look forward to:
- less crowding on peak trains
- better connections to public transport
- more regular train services.
Upcoming site investigations
To make sure we deliver the best solution possible, our team will carry out investigations along the Hurstbridge line during 2019.
These works include:
- geotechnical drilling investigations to learn about the ground conditions
- environment surveys
- traffic studies
- flora and fauna investigations
- cultural and heritage investigations
- locate existing service utilities, such as gas, water, electricity, telecommunications and sewerage.
What to expect
From May 2019, our team will investigate the geotechnical conditions and locate existing services along the rail line in Greensborough, Montmorency, Eltham and Diamond Creek.
You may see workers out and about during this time, and small drilling rigs and trucks used for these works. These works will occur during regular construction hours of 7:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
How this will affect you
Traffic and pedestrian management will help people and vehicles move through areas safely. While the works are not expected to be disruptive, you may notice some machinery noise.
A new Greensborough Station will be built.
We want to hear from you
As we plan for the second stage of the Hurstbridge Line Upgrade, we will be out chatting with locals about some of the unique characteristics of the area.
We want to hear how you move around the local area, how you access and use public transport and what you see as the challenges and opportunities for key transport hubs like Greensborough Station.
Keep an eye out for your invitation to our upcoming community drop-in sessions, and your chance to share your views via our online engagement hub.
To stay up to date in the meantime, you can sign up to our email updates.
Mid to late 2019
* Please note that the timeline is subject to change.