Grange Road Area Update - February 2018
27 Feb 2018
Grange Road Area Update - February 2018
The Victorian Government is removing two dangerous and congested level crossings along the Hurstbridge line, building a brand new Rosanna Station, and duplicating the single section of track between Heidelberg and Rosanna. This will make communities safer and get commuters in Melbourne's north east home sooner.
The Grange Road level crossing will soon be a distant memory, with the boom gates to be removed during the major construction blitz between Friday 16 March and Monday 30 April 2018. At the end of the blitz, trains will run in the new lowered rail trench underneath Grange Road.
To allow for these works, Grange Road will close for 21 days from 9:00pm Friday 16 March until 5:00am Friday 6 April 2018.
Additionally, buses will replace trains on sections of the Hurstbridge line from Friday 16 March to the last service Sunday 29 April 2018.
If you have any questions about the works set to take place during March and April, including how they might affect you, please call the project team on 1800 105 105.
In February and March, construction activities will continue in and around the railway line from Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 7:00pm, however, there are times when work will need to take place outside these hours. We will notify residents when out-of-hours works are planned.
What’s happening during the construction blitz?
16 March to mid April 2018
Digging the rail trench
- A large number of trucks will use Wingrove Street, Grange Road and the VicTrack land next to Hamilton Street to remove excavated soil from site
- Excavators breaking rock
- 21-day closure of Grange Road to dig the rail trench.
- Building rail trench walls
- Drilling large nails into trench walls for reinforcement
- Spraying concrete over the trench wall.
- Installing road and pedestrian bridges
- Craning in new bridge deck at Grange Road, allowing cars to travel over the rail line
- Lifting in two pedestrian bridges, to the east and west of Grange Road.
Early to late April 2018
Installing new rail infrastructure
- Installing new drainage system
- Laying new tracks and sleepers
- Installing overhead rail structures and signals
- Testing new tracks and infrastructure.
To ensure the safety of our work crew and the public, occasionally we will work overnight while trains are not running. Upcoming night works include:
- Friday 2 March to Sunday 4 March 2018
- Friday 16 March to Monday 30 April 2018.
Come along to our next community drop-in session
Come along to our community drop-in session to find out more about the major construction blitz in March and April 2018. Our team will be on-hand to answer your questions.
When: Thursday 1 March 2018, between 6pm and 8pm
Where: Fairfield Primary School, 5 Langridge St, Fairfield
Don’t worry if you can’t make it, go to levelcrossings.vic.gov.au to find out more, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
During the 44-day blitz, there will be Q&A sessions at viewing areas around the project site, showcasing a range of construction activities. Stay tuned on our social media channels for more details.
Local businesses will be open as normal during our works, so please support businesses in the area Customer parking in Martin Court will remain open during our major construction blitz. The car park can be accessed via Darling Street and Perry Street, or Station Street onto Wingrove Street.
- Closure of Grange Road at the level crossing from 9pm Friday 16 March until 5am Friday 6 April 2018
- Closure of Wingrove Street between Martin Court (west of Grange Rd) and Fulham Road (east of Grange Rd) from 9pm Friday 16 March until 5am Friday 6 April 2018
- Closure of Ravenscourt Place from Thursday 1 March until mid-2018.
- Buses will replace trains between Clifton Hill and Macleod stations from 8.15pm Friday 23 February to the last service Sunday 25 February 2018
- Buses will replace trains between Clifton Hill and Macleod from 8.15pm Friday 2 March to the last service Sunday 4 March 2018
- Buses will replace trains on sections of the Hurstbridge line from approximately 8pm Friday 16 March until the last service Sunday 29 April 2018.
For journey planning and service disruption information, visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007.
- The pedestrian footpath between Hanslope Avenue and Hamilton Street across VicTrack land is now closed. Pedestrians are advised to use Heidelberg Road as a detour
- The pedestrian footpath between Grange Road and Alphington Station (south of the rail corridor) will be closed from Friday 16 March until mid-2018
- Closure of the railway pedestrian crossing at Grange Road from 9pm Friday 16 March until mid-2018.
- Between Friday 16 March and mid-2018, pedestrians will be able to cross the rail corridor at:
- Station Street, Fairfield
- Arthur Street underpass
- Alphington Station (stairs only, no ramp access)
- Yarralea Street.
- Pedestrians are advised to use Heidelberg Road or Wingrove Street and cross over the railway line at the four above locations.
View this in a PDF format PDF, 2.9 MB
View our interactive disruptions map
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project