Grange Road, Alphington Community Update – September 2017
01 Sep 2017
The Victorian Government is removing two dangerous and congested level crossings along the Hurstbridge line, building a brand new Rosanna Station, and duplicating the single section of track between Heidelberg and Rosanna. This will make communities safer and get commuters in Melbourne’s north east home sooner.
In late August, we temporarily closed Grange Road to carry out important works that will help us remove the level crossing in Alphington. These works include the installation of a concrete support beam under the road.
During October further major works will be undertaken between Fairfield and Alphington stations. Buses will replace trains on sections of the Hurstbridge line from 8:30pm, Friday 6 October until Sunday, 15 October.
Works will once again include a short-term closure of Grange Road at the level crossing to install the second support bean. Locally, works will also include preparation for the trench excavation, and construction of a third bypass track, which will allow trains to operate while we lower the rail line under the road.
What’s coming up?
- Installing permanent concrete barriers along Wingrove Street to keep pedestrians and motorist safe when the rail trench is complete.
- Preparing for the implementation of one-way traffic flows in Wingrove Street, including installing temporary barriers along the rail corridor.
- Drilling a series of small holes through rock along the northern side of the rail line to prepare for the rail trench excavation.
- Ongoing installation of cables between Fairfield and Alphington stations.
To ensure the safety of our work crew and the public, occasionally we will work overnight while trains are not running. Upcoming night works include:
- Friday 6 October 2017 to Monday 16 October 2017.
Grange Road closure
Grange Road needs to be reinforced so we can lower the rail line under the road.
To do this, the road will again close at the level crossing (between Wingrove Street and Ravenscourt Place) from 9:00pm Friday 6 October to 5:00am Monday 9 October 2017.
Access for all local businesses and residents will be maintained, and detour signs will be in place with live travel times displayed. Please plan ahead and allow extra time for your journey.
- Buses will replace trains on sections of the Hurstbridge line from 8:30pm Friday 6 October until Sunday 15 October.
- Closure of Grange Road at the level crossing form 9:00pm Friday 6 October 2017 until 5:00am Monday 9 October 2017.
- Wingrove Street (west of Grange Road) will become one-way in late September, with traffic permitted to travel between Martin Court and Grange Road eastbound only.
Note: Planned and unplanned works may be carried out on the Hurstbridge line by other projects as part of regular maintenance and renewal programs. For journey planning and service disruption information, visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007.
The Level Crossing Removal Project is working closely with VicRoads and the Chandler Highway Upgrade team in order to minimise disruptions for the surrounding community.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project