Grange Road, Alphington Community Update – October 2017
01 Oct 2017
The Victorian Government is removing two dangerous and congested level crossings along the Hurstbridge line, building a brand new Rosanna Station, and duplicating the single section of track between Heidelberg and Rosanna. This will make communities safer and get commuters in Melbourne’s north east home sooner.
In September, we started drilling series of tiny holes along the length of where the rail line will be lowered. These holes vary in depth relative to the depth of the rail trench and will help to reduce the time it takes to excavate in early 2018.
During the nine-day shutdown of the rail line in October, further major works will be take place between Fairfield and Alphington stations, and Grange Road will once again close at the level crossing for three days to allow the second concrete support beam to be installed.
We will also continue installing cables underground around Grange Road, Station Street and at Alphington.
What’s coming up?
- Installing a second concrete support beam under Grange Road.
- Constructing permanent concrete barriers along Wingrove Street to keep pedestrians and motorists safe when the rail trench is complete.
- Drilling a series of small holes through rock along the rail line to prepare for the rail trench excavation in early 2018.
- Ongoing cable installation between Fairfield and Alphington stations.
To ensure the safety of our work crew and the public, occasionally we will work overnight while trains are not running. Upcoming night works include:
- 9:00pm Friday 6 October to 5am Monday 9 October 2017.
Grange Road closure
- Grange Road will close at the level crossing (including Ravenscourt Place) from 9:00pm Friday 6 October to 5:00am Monday 9 October.
- This closure is required to install the second concrete support beam that will help lower the rail line underneath Grange Road and remove the level crossing.
- Access for all local businesses and residents will be maintained, and detour signs will be in place with live travel times displayed. Please plan ahead and allow extra time for your journey.
- Buses will replace trains on sections of the Hurstbridge line from 8:30pm Friday 6 October until Sunday 15 October.
- Closure of Grange Road at the level crossing from 9:00pm Friday 6 October 2017 until 5:00am Monday 9 October 2017.
Note: Planned and unplanned works may be carried out on the Hurstbridge line by other projects as part of regular maintenance and renewal programs. For journey planning and service disruption information, visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007.
The Level Crossing Removal Project is working closely with VicRoads and the Chandler Highway Upgrade team in order to minimise disruptions for the surrounding community.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project