Grange Road, Alphington Community Update – July 2017
01 Jul 2017
The Victorian Government is removing two dangerous and congested level crossings along the Hurstbridge line, building a brand new Rosanna Station, and duplicating the single section of track between Heidelberg and Rosanna. This will make communities safer and get commuters in Melbourne's north east home sooner.
Before we can remove the Grange Road level crossing, we have to prepare the site and carefully relocate many of the existing utilities. A lot of this work was completed in June, when our project team installed foundations for the new overhead rail structures along the rail corridor, between Arthur Street and Broomfield Avenue, and began installation of a new sewer line on the southern side of Wingrove Street.
Our site offices located near the intersection of Grange and Heidelberg roads are also now fully established.
This is where our project team will be based while we remove the dangerous and congested level crossing.
In July and August, construction activities will continue to take place in and around the railway line from Monday to Sunday, 7:00am to 6:00pm.
In other news, after talking to the community, the project team and its partners, including Darebin City Council and VicRoads, are currently considering:
- maintaining the right hand turn out of Ravenscourt Place when the level crossing has been removed
- upgrades to the Fairfield electrical substation (near the north end of Broomfield Avenue), including the height and footprint of the building.
We will keep you updated on these potential changes.
What's coming up?
- Installing new underground power and signalling cables along the rail corridor, which involves digging a trench along the railway line between Fairfield Road and Perry Street.
- Installing structures to support overheard powerlines between Station Street and Grange Road, and around Alphington Station.
- Installing underground signalling cables, which involves digging a trench across the intersection of Grange Road and Wingrove Street.
- Investigating underground services, including water, on Grange Road and Ravenscourt Place.
To ensure the safety of our work crew and the public, occasionally we will work overnight while trains are not running. Upcoming night works include:
- Friday 14 July to Monday 17 July
- Friday 25 August to Tuesday 29 August.
Traffic changes in late July and early August
- Once sewer relocation works are finished, parking on Wingrove Street between Fulham and Kelvin roads will be reinstated.
- Parking on the south side of Wingrove Street, between Perry Street and Grange Road, will be removed to allow ongoing construction in this area.
- Water main works near the intersections of Grange Road and Wingrove Street and Grange Road and Ravenscourt Place will require daytime and overnight lane closures.
Traffic management staff will help maintain access to private properties during these works, and further notification will be provided to local residents.
- Buses will replace trains on the Hurstbridge line from approximately 8:00pm Thursday 13 July to last service between Clifton Hill and Greensborough
- Buses will replace trains on the Hurstbridge line from approximately 8:00pm Friday 14 July to last service Sunday 16 July between Clifton Hill and Macleod.
- Buses will replace trains from 8:15pm Friday 25 August to last service Sunday 27 August between Clifton Hill and Macleod.
- Grange Road will be closed at the level crossing from 9:00pm Friday 25 August and will reopen by 5:00am Tuesday 29 August 2017.
For journey planning and service disruption information, visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007.
The Level Crossing Removal Project is working closely with VicRoads and the Chandler Highway Upgrade team in order to minimise disruptions for the surrounding community.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project