Grange Road, Alphington Community Update – August 2017
01 Aug 2017
The Victorian Government is removing two dangerous and congested level crossings along the Hurstbridge line, building a brand new Rosanna Station, and duplicating the single section of track between Heidelberg and Rosanna. This will make communities safer and get commuters in Melbourne's north east home sooner.
In Alphington, we’ve recently been conducting trial excavation works, which will help us gain a better understanding of the ground conditions near the Grange Road level crossing as we prepare to dig the rail trench early next year.
The aim of the trial was to help us determine which machines will operate the most effectively to remove approximately 30,000 cubic metres of rock and soil, and minimise impacts on drivers and train commuters.
In August and September, construction will continue in and around the railway line from Monday to Sunday, 7:00am to 6:00pm.
Our most significant work to date will occur this month when we use a large crane to install the new support beams for Grange Road. In order to carry out this work, Grange Road will need to close for three full days at the level crossing in late August.
What's coming up?
- Installing new underground power and signalling cables between Fairfield and Alphington stations.
- Installing two support beams at Grange Road.
- Installing new overhead structures for the temporary train bypass track.
- Relocation of existing services including water, sewerage and traffic signalling cables.
To ensure the safety of our work crew and the public, occasionally we will work overnight while trains are not running.
Upcoming night works include:
- Friday 25 August to Tuesday 29 August.
Grange Road closure
In order to lower the rail line underneath Grange Road, the existing road needs to be reinforced. This will be achieved by installing two 40 tonne support beams on each side of the intersection, and then lowering a reinforced road platform between the two beams.
To undertake these works, Grange Road will be closed at the level crossing (between Wingrove and Ravenscourt Place) during the following times:
- 9:00pm Friday 25 August to 5:00am Tuesday 29 August.
Local access for all businesses and residents will be maintained, and detour signs will be in place with live travel times displayed for road users. Please allow extra time for your journey.
- Buses will replace trains on the Hurstbridge line from approximately 8:00pm Friday 25 August until last service Sunday 27 August, between Clifton Hill and Macleod.
- Approximately two weeks of disruption to weekday and weekend rail services during October 2017.
- The railway pedestrian crossing on Wingrove Street, opposite Perry Street, Fairfield, will close permanently from Friday 25 August. Detour routes will be in place.
Note: Planned and unplanned works may be carried out on the Hurstbridge line by other projects as part of regular maintenance and renewal programs. For journey planning and service disruption information, visit the PTV website or call 1800 800 007.
Local traders will be open during our works, so please support businesses in the area.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project