Furlong Main Community Update - December 2015
01 Dec 2015
What's planned for December/January
Main Road crossing closed (19 days):
Buses will replace trains at St Albans and Ginifer Stations from 3 to 9 January 2016 to allow major excavation works for the Main Road bridge over the Sunbury line.
|Major excavation works to lower the rail line will commence south of Main Road in December during normal working hours.|
Construction of a new pedestrian bridge.
Main Road West intersection upgrade works (access from West Esplanade onto Main Road West will be limited and it is advised to detour via Albert Crescent) 2 to 22 January.
Sewer main works on McKechnie Street from 11 January 2016.
|Installing overhead structures along the rail corridor.|
We are on track for the removal of the Main Road level crossing following a successful month in October. This includes building the new temporary Platform 2 at St Albans Station, site establishment and drilling and constructing concrete foundations. We appreciated your patience during these works and the road closures that followed in November.
The main focus for the coming months is earthworks to lower the rail line and construct the Main Road bridge. We are fast-tracking these works to ensure the trains are back up and running for the celebrations of St Albans' Lunar Festival on Sunday 10 January.
Changes for train customers
The following changes apply to train services on the Sunbury line during early January 2016. For updates and full details visit ptv.vic.gov.au or call 1800 800 007 (6:00am to midnight).
From approximately 3:00am Sunday 3 January 2016 to Saturday 9 January 2016 as part of Main Road level crossing removal works:
- Buses will replace Metro trains between Sunshine and Sunbury. Journey times may increase by up to 35 minutes.
- Coaches will replace V/line Bendigo trains between Melbourne to Gisborne.
- Trains will continue to run between Gisborne and Bendigo/Echuca.
- Coaches will replace Swan Hill trains between Melbourne and Bendigo.
- Trains will operate between Bendigo and Swan Hill. Please allow an extra 30 minutes for the journey.
- Trains will be operating for St Alban's Lunar Festival on 10 January.
Car parks and bus stops
- From Friday 27 November – 40 car spaces in West Esplanade Station car park will be closed permanently to build the new pedestrian bridge. More parking is available for train customers at the rear of St Albans Hotel car park.
- Mid-December – A temporary bus turnaround bay will be built on McKechnie Street to cater for the bus turning circle when the existing bus interchange temporarily moves onto McKechnie Street.
- 11 car spaces on Main Road West (near West Esplanade intersection) will be closed temporarily from Saturday 2 January to Friday 22 January 2016 to allow road improvement works.
The Main Road Level Crossing Removal Project thanks you for your patience as we remove the dangerous and congested level crossing at Main Road,St Albans.
In October, at Main Road our crews worked more than 6000 man hours, excavated over 2,700 cubic metres of soil and installed 40 tonnes of structured steel to prepare site foundations and successfully build the new temporary platform at St Albans Station.
These works have helped us to undertake major construction to remove the level crossing while minimising disruption to rail customers.
Works at Furlong Road level crossing
We are excited to get works started at Furlong Road and Ginifer Station. You may have noticed temporary fencing is up to protect native flora and fauna, and we have been busy establishing the site with upgrades to sewer mains, excavation and drilling works. In December crews will be on site to prepare the area north of Furlong Road by installing a rail corridor access track to enable safe excavation works to begin to lower the rail line.
What to expect next year?
Buses will replace trains on the Sunbury line between Sunshine and Sunbury from approximately 3:00am Sunday 3 January until Saturday 9 January 2016.
There are no trains running to:
- allow demolition of sections of station buildings on Platform 2 at Ginifer Station
- enable utilities service relocations activities for gas, Optus and waterlines
- construct retaining walls to build the new Ginifer Station concourse and Mulhall Drive pedestrian bridge
- excavation and track works from Ginifer station to Western Ring Road.
- 8:00pm Thursday 4 February to 5:00am Monday 8 February: Furlong Road crossing will be closed to allow for excavation and drilling pedestrian access for the bridge foundations.
- Sunday 27 March to Sunday 10 April 2016: crossing will be closed to allow construction of the bridge deck over the rail line.
4 February 2016 – Furlong Road crossing closed
27 March 2016 –Furlong Road crossing closed
Pop along to our popup sessions
Join us on the following days at Sam's Market and St Albans Station to view project designs, updates and ask any questions about the project:
Thursday 17 December: 9:00am to 12 noon
Friday 18 December: 9:00am to 12 noon
St Albans Station:
Tuesday 22 December: 6:00am to 9:00am
Phone: 1800 105 105 (business hours Monday – Friday and during out of hours works)
Mail: Level Crossing Removal Authority
GPO Box 4509
Melbourne VIC 3001
Follow us on social media @levelcrossings
Translation service for languages other than English, please call 9280 0780