Edithvale, Chelsea, Bonbeach – construction update, April 2021
09 Apr 2021
We’re removing 18 level crossings and building 12 new stations as part of a $3 billion upgrade of the Frankston Line.
From Edithvale to Bonbeach we’re removing five dangerous and congested level crossings, building three new modern stations and creating a more direct road network. These changes will improve traffic flow, reduce congestion and make it safer and easier for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to travel through the area.
Thanks for your patience during our February rail closure for the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal projects. Crews worked day and night to upgrade rail signalling, lay foundations, and relocate underground services and drainage.
Over the coming months, we will continue relocating underground utilities along Nepean Highway and Station Street to prepare for lowering the rail line into trenches. These include rail signalling, gas, water, sewerage, power and telecommunications.
Piling will continue until mid 2021, with more than 4500 sheet piles to be driven as deep as 19 metres into the ground forming retaining walls for the new rail trenches.
Once piling works are complete, we can start works to remove existing rail infrastructure, excavate the three trenches to lower the rail line and build the new stations.
Bayside locals can look forward to their three new modern stations in late 2021, with better access to public transport, local shops and the beach
You can sign up to text message alerts for major traffic and construction impacts for the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossing removal projects by texting ‘ECB’ to 0429 839 892.
We replaced 750 rail sleepers along the rail line between Edithvale and Bonbeach during our February rail closure
Service relocations continue
As part of the level crossing removals from Edithvale to Bonbeach the project work sites span more than five kilometres of the Frankston line. Along the rail corridor there are many underground services such as gas, water, telecommunications, drainage and sewer and aboveground services including power.
Before we can lower the rail line and remove the level crossings, these services need to be relocated to make way for the rail trenches and associated infrastructure. Service relocation works have been underway since late 2020 and will be completed by mid 2021.
Sections of Station Street in Edithvale and Chelsea will be closed at times over the coming months for essential drainage works required as part of the rail trench design. Detour signage and traffic management will be in place. Please be patient and allow for extra time as you’re driving through the area during changed traffic conditions.
If you have any questions about the works please get in contact with us for more information.
A combination of sheet piles and continuous flight auger piles (pictured) are being installed across Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach
Timeline above subject to change.
Works in the area
Changes to the way you travel
- Fraser Avenue in Edithvale will have staged closures between French Avenue and Station Street until May, with resident and pedestrian access maintained and traffic management in place.
- Nepean Highway, Station Street and local side streets in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach will require road and footpath closures and driveway disruptions at times throughout 2021, with residents notified in advance, pedestrian access maintained and traffic management in place.
- There will be ongoing lane closures and reduced speed limits along Station Street and Nepean Highway between Edithvale and Bonbeach. On-street parking will also be unavailable along sections of Station Street between Edithvale and Bonbeach until early 2022.
Please be patient and allow extra time as you’re driving through the area while we have these changed traffic conditions. Traffic management and signage will be in place to help you get around.
Rail and bus
- Bus routes 706 (to Mordialloc) and 902 (to Airport West) will not service selected bus stops along Station Street until early 2022.
- Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach station car parks remain closed until early 2022, with alternative all-day passenger parking available at Chelsea Library and Seaford North Reserve
- City-bound train replacement bus stops on Station Street between Aspendale and Bonbeach have been relocated to Nepean Highway.
Pedestrian and cyclist
Pedestrian access remains available at all road crossings, however:
- The pedestrian crossing at The Glade, Bonbeach is closed until late 2021.
- The Fraser Avenue pedestrian crossing in Edithvale is closed until mid 2021.
- The Golden Avenue pedestrian crossing in Chelsea is permanently closed.
- The Broadway pedestrian crossing in Bonbeach is closed until July 2021.
- The Swan Walk pedestrian crossing in Chelsea is permanently closed.
- A temporary signalised pedestrian crossing has been installed at Showers Avenue–Nepean Highway in Chelsea until late 2021 to allow safe site access for project staff – not for public use.
- There will be short periods of footpath closures along Station Street until late 2021.
- The bike lane on Station Street is closed from Birdwood Street to Patterson River until late 2021.
Works continue in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach.
Health and safety
The health and safety of our workers and the community is our key priority as we continue work on the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach Level Crossing Removal Project.