Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach community update – December 2021
21 Dec 2021
One of the first trains through the new Edithvale Station in November 2021
Major works completed in 2021
Final touches in 2022
The Victorian Government is removing 20 dangerous level crossings and building 13 new stations as part of a more than $4 billion upgrade on the Frankston line that will improve safety, reduce congestion and run more trains, more often.
In November 2021, trains resumed on the Frankston line after we removed five dangerous and congested level crossings and opened three new stations in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach.
The Frankston line was lowered into three rail trenches, each around 1km long and up to 7m deep. We also built four new road bridges above the trenches at Edithvale Road, Edithvale, Argyle Avenue, Chelsea, Bondi Road, Bonbeach – and the new east-west link across the rail corridor at Thames Promenade, Chelsea. Residents now have easier access to public transport, local shops and the beach.
Our works will pause from Friday 17 December until Monday 10 January 2022. We wish you and your families a safe and festive holiday period.
Works will then continue until mid 2022 as we complete the new stations, car parks, a new shared use path and planting and landscaping.
What we’ve delivered
- Removed five level crossings
- Built three new stations
- Built four new road bridges including a new direct connection over the rail line at Thames Promenade
There will be ongoing disruptions to your travel as we complete our works in 2022.
The following pedestrian crossings are open:
- Lochiel Avenue pedestrian crossing
- Fraser Avenue pedestrian crossing
- Swanpool Avenue pedestrian crossing
The following pedestrian crossings will be closed until early 2022:
- Berry Avenue pedestrian crossing – closed until early 2022
- Broadway pedestrian crossing – closed until early 2022
- The Glade pedestrian crossing – closed until early 2022
- New pedestrian bridge at Chelsea Road to open in early 2022
Residents will be able to detour using the new stations, Edithvale Road, Thames Promenade, Argyle Avenue and Bondi Road.
We want to thank the local community for your patience during our major works. Thank you as well for continuing to visit your favourite local traders while major works have been happening in the area.
- New Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach stations open to the public. * Trains running in the new rail trenches.
- Station finishes, planting and landscaping including construction of a walking and cycling path between Edithvale and Bonbeach, creating more than 11km of continuous shared use path to Frankston.
*Timeline above subject to change