Caulfield to Dandenong Factsheet: Rebuilding Murrumbeena Station
01 Nov 2016
Rebuilding Murrumbeena Station
The Caulfield to Dandenong Level Crossing Removal Project is removing nine level crossings, rebuilding five stations and creating new open spaces on the Cranbourne-Pakenham rail line.
Murrumbeena Station will be rebuilt in its current location as an elevated railway station. The new station at Murrumbeena will be equipped with the following facilities:
- stairs, escalators and two lifts to improve accessibility and pedestrian flow
- two station access points
- large sections of covered platform
- ambulant accessible public toilets for customer use during station operation hours
- baby change facilities for customer use during station operation hours
- hearing loops in waiting areas and on platforms
- commuter parking including disability parking and a number of drop-off zones
- parkiteer facilities (secure bicycle parking cages) and bicycle hoops, located close to shared use paths and station entrances
- new bus bays and taxi ranks
- CCTV cameras and state-of-the-art Protective Service Officer (PSO) facilities
- new public information displays.
How has community feedback been incorporated into the design?
Changes to the station precinct design include:
- reduction in the height of the station canopy by 1.8 metres
- addition of a second entry/exit point to improve access and pedestrian flow
- improved layout of open space below the station platforms
- inclusion of escalators
- improved amenity, such as public toilets and security.
Key architectural elements from the old station buildings – such as the steel canopies and trusses – have been salvaged and stored. We are working to incorporate these elements into the designs for the new station precinct and community open spaces.
For a printable version, please download the Fact Sheet PDF, 651.4 KB
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project