Caulfield to Dandenong Area 2 - Community Update - February 2018
09 Feb 2018
Major works are underway to remove dangerous and congested level crossings at Clayton and Centre roads and build a brand-new station at Clayton by the end of this year.
Largest canopy takes shape
Our construction team wasted no time after Christmas, installing the first pieces of canopy on the new Clayton Station. Comprising of metal, high-tech plastic and timber finishes the canopy, installed in 4.5 metre sections, will stretch 100 metres. It is the largest of the five new stations.
The team started construction of the retaining walls and will shortly commence laying track on the elevated structure. We have also installed the station escalators and prepared for the installation of the lifts.
A more reliable train network
As part of our project, we are upgrading power, signalling and communications along the entire length of the Cranbourne and Pakenham line.
This major upgrade will immediately help make the lines more reliable, reducing faults and failures which cause delays.
In January, we completed 26 kilometres of overhead wiring between Westall and Springvale. Overhead wiring distributes power from substations across the network – providing the energy required by Melbourne’s train network.
- Buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Dandenong from 8:00pm until the last service each night from Sunday 18 until Thursday 22 February.
- Buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Westall from 12.30am Saturday 24 February until the last service on Sunday 25 February.
- Buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Dandenong from 8:00pm until the last service each night from Tuesday 27 February until Thursday 1 March.
- Until March 2018, Carinish Road will close intermittently from Kanooka Grove towards Clayton Road to rebuild Clayton Station. Detour via Centre Road, Browns Road and Clayton Road. Local residential access will be maintained.
- Clayton Road, Clayton, will close at the level crossing from 10:30pm Tuesday 20 February to 5:30am Wednesday 21 February. Please detour via Princes Highway, Westall Road, Centre Road, Carinish Road and Haughton Road.
- Until mid-April 2018, Carinish Road will close intermittently from Kanooka Grove towards Clayton Road to rebuild Clayton Station. Please detour via Centre Road, Browns Road and Clayton Road. Local residential access will be maintained.
- Centre Road, Clayton, will close at the level crossing from 10pm Friday 23 February to 8am Saturday 24 February. Please detour via Clayton Road and Westall Road.
We are in the process of moving our Information Hub from Noble Park to Clayton. The Information Hub offers you a chance to chat to our staff about the project and pick up more information. Come view the virtual reality goggles which show an incredible 360° image of how the new Clayton Station will look upon completion.
We expect the hub to be up and running in Clayton in early March.
Name your new path
Soon you’ll be able to walk, scoot or cycle all the way from Caulfield to Dandenong – or any of the eight suburbs in between – when a new 17km shared use path is built as part of the level crossing removal project.
Community members are invited to help give the new trail a name by selecting one of the eight that have been shortlisted.
Head online to open space to cast a vote for your preferred name. Voting closes on 9 March 2018.
Piling (ground strengthening) commenced Removal of Clayton Station
First piers installed First beams installed
Piling completed Clayton Station design released
Twin track piers installed at Centre Road Haunches installed
Installation of parapets commenced Beams installed over Clayton Road
Construction on Clayton Station Platform commenced
100% of beams installed
Begin installation of Clayton Station canopy
Early - mid 2018
Mid - late 2018
Clayton Station open track and signalling complete open space landscaping complete Bicycle and pedestrian path complete
Follow us on social media @levelcrossings
Translation service – For languages other than English, please call 9280 0780. Please contact us if you would like this information in an accessible format.
View this in a PDF format PDF, 1.5 MB
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project