Caulfield to Dandenong Area 1 Community Update – February 2018
01 Feb 2018
Major works are underway to remove dangerous and congested level crossings at Grange, Koornang, Murrumbeena and Poath roads and build brand new stations in Carnegie, Murrumbeena and Hughesdale by the end of this year.
Image: Looking from Carnegie towards Murrumbeena, works are progressing along the new structure
New year begins on a high note
Our construction team launched right back into action in January and installed the project’s final support pier near Poath Road, Hughesdale. More than 300 of these piers have been installed along the rail corridor and are made of locally produced concrete segments, supporting Victorian manufacturing and transport jobs.
Straddle carrier operations are also on the home stretch with more than 100 beams now in place between Caulfield and Hughesdale, and less than 50 left to be installed. Since August last year, this super-sized machinery has been lifting concrete beams weighing up to 400 tonnes and lowering them into place to form a 3.2 kilometre section of the new elevated rail.
Progress building the new stations will continue this month as we begin the installation of the 60 metre canopies at Carnegie and Murrumbeena stations. Meanwhile, the straddle carrier will install beams over Grange and Poath roads.
What’s next for the elevated rail deck?
Last month, preparation for track laying began on the elevated deck. This will continue during February, as we replace a 100-year-old track design.
In Australia, track is typically made up of loose rocks – called ballast, steel rail and wooden or concrete sleepers.
To reduce vibration and noise from the new track, we are installing smooth, continuous rail fixed directly to concrete blocks, called plinths. Vibration dampening rubber pads will also be installed beneath the new tracks.
Image: Ground level buildings at the new Murrumbeena Station
Hughesdale family fun day
Hughesdale was abuzz with a Shop Local community event on Saturday 17 February. With live music, face painting and a petting farm, the family friendly event encouraged participants to grab a bite to eat from local traders.
Support your local traders – shop local!
- Buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Dandenong from 8:00pm until last service each night from Sunday 18 February until Thursday 22 February.
- Buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Westall from 12:30am Saturday 24 February until the last service Sunday 25 February.
- Buses will replace trains between Caulfield and Dandenong from 8:00pm until last service each night from Tuesday 27 February until Thursday 1 March.
- Slow lane closures will be intermittently in place at Poath Road level crossing until June 2018 from 7:00pm to 8:30am nightly. Two-way traffic will be maintained.
- While the straddle carrier continues installation of the elevated rail, Poath Road level crossing will be closed between 7:00pm Saturday 17 February and 5:00am Saturday 24 February, dependent on weather. Please detour via Warrigal Road, Kangaroo Road and Murrumbeena Road. Pedestrian access may be impacted during this time.
- Lane closures of Grange Road, Carnegie level crossing from 11:00pm Friday 23 February to 5:00am Monday 26 February 2018. Two-way traffic will be maintained.
- Closure of Girdwood Avenue from 11:00pm Friday 23 February to 5am Monday 26 February 2018. Please detour via McPherson Avenue.
- Lane closures of Murrumbeena Road, Murrumbeena level crossing from 11:00pm Friday 23 February to 5:00am Monday 26 February 2018. Two-way traffic will be maintained.
Name your new path
Soon you’ll be able to walk, scoot or cycle all the way from Caulfield to Dandenong – or any of the eight suburbs in between – when a new 17 kilometre shared use path is built as part of the level crossing removal project.
Community members are invited to help give the new trail a name by selecting one of the eight that have been shortlisted.
Head online to Open Space to cast a vote for your preferred name. Voting closes on 9 March 2018.
Foundation works to strengthen the ground commenced
First pier installed between Carnegie and Hughesdale
Gantry crane arrives
Assembly of two gantry cranes
First horizontal span installed by the gantry cranes
Platform works commenced
Straddle carrier arrives to site and is assembled
Assembly of two 94-metre support beams
Straddle carrier commenced operation
Horizontal spans installed across Murrumbeena Road
Hughesdale Station demolished
November to December 2017
100 horizontal spans installed, including across Koornang Road
Carnegie platform works commenced
Completed all foundation works to strengthen the ground
Finished installation of piers
Early to mid 2018
Horizontal spans installed across Grange and Poath roads
Hughesdale Station platform works commence
Commence laying track on elevated rail
Commence installation of rail signals
Mid to late 2018
Track and signalling complete
Open space landscaping complete
New stations open at Carnegie, Murrumbeena and Hughesdale
Bicycle and pedestrian path complete
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project