Carrum Factsheet: New walking and cycling connections
01 Mar 2017
Carrum – March 2017
New walking and cycling connections
The Victorian Government is removing the Station Street and Eel Race Road level crossings, providing the Carrum community with the opportunity to transform and revitalise the Carrum village area.
To remove the Station Street and Eel Race Road level crossings a rail bridge will be built over a McLeod Road extension to the Nepean Highway and both existing level crossings will be closed.
A full revitalisation of the Carrum village area will include:
- connecting Station Street over the Patterson River enabling the closure of the Mascot Avenue, Bonbeach, level crossing
- creation of a Carrum village square
- new and enhanced connections to the beach
- construction of a new, modern Carrum Station
- removal of the train storage facility
- landscaping and streetscaping to give Station Street and the Nepean Highway a boulevard look and feel.
The changes will improve Carrum and make getting around safer and easier by providing better connections between the beach, local shops, public transport and the local community.
The project creates the opportunity to build a new walking and cycling path along Station Street and new access points across the rail line, making it easier and safer to access the beach, Carrum Station and local shops.
There have been 41 reported safety incidents including near misses across the Station Street, Eel Race Road and Mascot Avenue level crossings in the last 10 years.
Removing these dangerous level crossings will take away the risk of incidents between drivers, cyclists and pedestrians and metro and freight trains.
Where will the new connections be located?
There will be many new walking and cycling connections, including:
- a new walking and cycling path as part of a new road bridge over the Patterson River connecting Station Street between Carrum and Bonbeach
- a new walking and cycling path along Station Street, starting from Mascot Avenue, Bonbeach, to Eel Race Road, Carrum will connect to new community spaces, shops and 'Carrum village square'
- pedestrian crossings will be provided across the Nepean Highway between Patterson River and Eel Race Road to maintain convenient and safe access to the beach. Locations could include: ground level near Progress Avenue and ground level at the new McLeod Road intersection with the Nepean Highway (location for the new Carrum Station).
Artist impression. Indicative only. View interactive map.
Help shape the new Carrum village
In addition to removing these level crossings, the Victorian Government is investing in a complete upgrade and revitalisation of the Carrum village area.
These improved connections are all part of the Carrum village revitalisation program.
There will be ongoing opportunities throughout the year to be part of the project and shape and transform how your Carrum will look.
We want to hear your ideas for the look and feel of the area and new facilities you would like to see. We will be starting these discussions from mid-2017.
All ideas, big and small are welcome. This is your opportunity to help transform Carrum into a modern and connected local area.
For a high-res version of this publication, please download the New walking and cycling connections fact sheet PDF, 497.3 KB
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project