Aviation Road, Laverton community update – November 2019
01 Nov 2019
It has been a big couple of months – the new bridge has opened to traffic, the boom gates are gone for good and the surrounding road works are nearly done.
In October, we removed the boom gates, and we upgraded the existing pedestrian crossing at the station. In November and December, we will complete finishing touches on the road bridge and the surrounding area. This will include installing permanent street lights on the bridge, completing stormwater drainage, and finishing the landscaping and fencing around the project area with works winding down as the end of the year approaches.
Works will generally take place in and around the rail line between Laverton and Aircraft stations from Monday to Saturday 7am to 7pm, with some after-hours works. At times we will need to work overnight.
What's coming up
- Underground pipeline recoating works at Aircraft Station
- Light pole and cabling installation on the bridge
- Removal of temporary light poles and the commissioning of permanent light poles
- Opening of the pedestrian footpath on the road bridge
- Installation of permanent fencing around the rail corridor
- Landscaping and vegetation planting
- Installation of fencing at the former level crossing site
Traffic and car park changes
To ensure road users can move safely through the area and for the safety of our workers, there will be some off-peak lane closures and 40km/h speed limits around the level crossing project zone.
Changes in the area
- Occasional off-peak lane closures on Aviation Road in November and December while work crews remove temporary lighting and install permanent street lighting
- On Wednesday 6 November from 9pm to 4am, minor detours will be in place for vehicles turning left from Aviation Road onto Triholm Avenue while we install traffic sensors in the road
- From 8pm Sunday 10 November to 6pm Sunday 1 December, eight car spaces in the informal gravel section of the Aircraft Station car park will need to close for underground pipeline recoating works
- The pedestrian footpath along the bridge is closed until further notice You may experience minor traffic delays in the area during these works, so allow extra time for your journey.
You may experience minor traffic delays in the area during these works, so allow extra time for your journey.Access to local homes and businesses will be maintained at all times. Take care when driving through the construction zone and obey any signage and directions from staff.
We’ll need to undertake works between 7pm and 7am on the following nights.
- Wednesday 6 November while we install traffic detection services on Triholm Avenue
- Each night from Monday 18 to Friday 22 November to install drainage pipes and recoat an underground pipeline in the Aircraft Station car park
If any further out-of-hours works are required, we will provide additional notices to any residents and businesses that may be affected.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project