Aviation Road, Laverton community update - August 2019
06 Aug 2019
In July, the project team finished the walls that form the sides of the road bridge on the south and north sides of the project. All up, more than 1000 concrete panels were installed, and over 77,000 tonnes of fill was placed. Barrier installation on the bridge also continued during the month.
During August, the project team will be working hard to prepare the roads to tie in with the road bridge over the rail line.
Works will generally take place in and around the rail line between Laverton and Aircraft stations from Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 7:00pm and each Sunday between 7:00am and 5:00pm.
At times in August we will also need to work overnight.
Works on the flood detention basin continued in July
What’s coming up
- Asphalting and line marking along Maher Road
- Street lighting and pavement works along Maher Road
- Barrier installation on bridge
- Roadworks on the road bridge ramps
- Drainage works on the road bridge.
During the June rail disruption, barriers were installed on the bridge.
To ensure road users can move safely through the area, and for the safety of our workers, there will be some off peak lane closures and 40 kilometres per hour speed limits around the work zone throughout the project site. You’ll also notice:
- A higher volume of trucks will continue to transport materials for the retaining wall and for the removal of spoil from the flood storage area
- Maher Road traffic will be reduced to one lane during the day throughout August. The road will remain open in both directions with traffic management in place
- Turning lanes at the Aviation Road roundabout will be temporarily closed from early August for up to five weeks. Vehicles will still be able to turn into and out of the roundabout in all directions.
There may be some traffic delays in the area during these works, so please allow extra time for your journey. Access to local homes and businesses will always be maintained.
For your safety, please take care when driving through the construction zone and obey any signage and directions from staff.
From Friday 16 until Sunday 18 August works will take place 24 hours a day while we install bridge barriers above Maher Road.
If any further out-of-hours works are required, we will provide additional notices to any residents and businesses that may be affected.
Map of the works area
The project team hosted RAAF base members for a site tour.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project