Aviation Road community update - April 2019
10 Apr 2019
We’ve reached a major milestone at Aviation Road, with 20 T-beams lifted into place to form the road bridge. These 20 beams weigh between 40 and 70 tonnes, and were craned into position with a 350-tonne crane. The recent temporary rail line closure was needed to ensure the safety of the community and our workers while we carried out these works.
Since the last update, we've reopened car spaces in the Aircraft Station car park, and poured concrete to form part of the bridge deck. Work is progressing well on site, with the level crossing to be gone for good in early 2020.
Changes to Maher Road To allow crews to safely work on the north side of the new road bridge, we will temporarily realign Maher Road. This will see traffic diverted slightly south of the current position from Friday 19 April, until later this year.
A major milestone was achieved on the project recently with 20 T-beams craned into place.
What’s coming up
- Works for relocation of utilities, including electricity, telecommunications and water.
- General works during the day, including rock breaking, which may cause some noise and vibration around the work site.
- Building walls that will form the sides of the bridge.
- Vegetation removal in the northeastern corner of the project site. This is to create a flood basin to prevent flooding in extreme weather events.
Beams for the new bridge were made locally in Melton South. They were transported to site overnight by a convoy of trucks.
Map of the works area
To ensure road users can move safely through the area, and for the safety of our workers, there will be some off-peak lane closures and 40km/h speed limits around the work zone throughout the project. Please allow for increased travel time as these works progress. Additionally:
- Maher Road will be closed overnight on Thursday 18 April between 9:00pm and 5:00am.
- Throughout April there will be increased truck activity around the project site, transporting materials for the retaining wall.
- Maher Road traffic will be restricted to one lane until mid April. The road will remain open in both directions with traffic management in place.
- Overnight closure to the entry of Aircraft Station car park. Access to local homes and businesses will always be maintained.
For your safety, please take care when driving through the construction zone and follow any signage and directions from staff.
During April, some works will need to be completed outside of our normal hours of Monday to Saturday, 7:00am to 7:00pm. This will include:
- some Sunday works, between 7:00am and 7:00pm
- up to five nights in mid to late April for works on Maher Road.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project