Aviation Road, Laverton community update - March 2019
19 Mar 2019
Work crews are busy working towards removing the dangerous and congested level crossing on Aviation Road in Laverton. The construction crew spent January and February pouring concrete to form the piers that will support the road bridge, and continued relocating underground services.
In March, the T-beams will be placed onto the bridge structure, to support and form the top of the bridge.
There will be some times when buses will replace trains on sections of the Werribee and Williamstown lines. For timetable information and to plan your journey, please visit the PTV website or call 1800 800 007.
Works will generally take place Monday to Saturday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm in March. There will also be times when the crew will need to work outside of these hours. Dates and times for out of hours works are provided over the page.
Important changes to Maher Road
To allow crews to safely work on the retaining wall for the north side of the new road bridge, we will temporarily realign Maher Road. We know Maher Road is an important link for locals, so we are keeping it open during our works.
The temporary realignment will see traffic diverted slightly south of the current position. Vehicles will be using the new temporary Maher Road from the morning of Sunday 31 March.
What’s coming up
- Buses will replace trains on sections of the Werribee and Williamstown lines from 8.30 pm on Tuesday 12 March to the last service on Thursday, 14 March.
- Excavation and rock breaking during the day.
- Relocating utilities, including electricity, telecommunications and water.
- Resurfacing closed car spaces at Aircraft Station in preparation for the car park to fully reopen in mid March.
- Constructing the temporary Maher Road.
- Building walls that will form the sides of the ramps for the bridge
- T-beams being craned into position.
To ensure road users can move safely through the area, and for the safety of our workers, there will be some off-peak lane closures and 40km/h speed limits around the work site throughout the project. Please allow for increased travel time as these works progress. Additionally:
- Maher Road will be closed overnight from 9:00 pm to 5:00 am on Friday 29 March and Saturday 30 March.
- Aviation Road will be closed overnight at the roundabout for up to one hour between midnight and 5:00 am on Tuesday 12 March and Wednesday 13 March.
- Maher Road traffic will be restricted to one lane until mid March. The road will remain open in both directions with traffic control staff on hand to manage traffic flow.
Access to local homes and businesses will always be maintained. For your safety, please take care when driving through the construction zone and obey any signage and directions from staff.
Buses will replace trains on sections of the Werribee and Williamstown lines from 8.30 pm on Tuesday 12 March to the last service on Thursday, 14 March.
Buses will also replace trains on some nights and weekends in March.
Through March and April, some works will need to be completed outside of our normal hours of Monday to Saturday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. This will include:
- Overnight works each night on 7, 12, 13 and 14 March and 29 and 30 March.
- Some Sunday works, between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm.
- Some early starts, from as early as 4:00 am, to pour concrete.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project