Working around the clock in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach
10 Sep 2020
Works to remove five dangerous and congested level crossings between Edithvale and Bonbeach have been deemed critical under Stage 4 restrictions, with strict health and safety protocols in place to protect our workers and communities.
We closed sections of the Frankston line from 1 – 7 September and worked around the clock to upgrade the power and signalling overhead and underground, as well as relocate underground utilities such as gas, water and sewer lines.
Crews also constructed support pads for heavy machinery and piling rigs, which are set to land onsite later this month.
Soon, locals will see big machinery make their way to site for our piling works, which are set to begin Monday 5 October 2020 until late 2021 and will continue until late 2021.
Piling is when we dig into the ground and fill the holes with concrete, to create strong foundations for the rail trench. These piles will form the walls of the new trench.
Until those piling rigs land on site, crews will be busy finishing up some of the crucial utility works.
During this time, there will be a range of disruptions across Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach while we’re upgrading and relocating underground services including sewer, water and gas. Traffic management will be in place to help you move safely through the area.
Travel changes in your area
- Station Street will have lane closures and reduced speed limits between Edithvale and Bonbeach from Saturday 5 September, between 7pm and 6am.
- Bus Routes 706 (to Mordialloc) and 902 (to Airport West) will not service selected bus stops from Friday 4 September 2020 to early 2022.
- Nepean Highway and Station Street from Aspendale to Bonbeach will have changed traffic conditions from Monday 05 October 2020 until late-2021.
- Station Street, Nepean Highway and local side streets in Edithvale will have various road closures, car parking closures and access changes during October and November.
- There will be various lane closures, car parking and access changes in Edithvale during October and November 2020. This will include travel changes on Edithvale Road, Correa Street, Fraser Avenue, Bapaume Avenue, Bank Road, The Esplanade and Denman Avenue.
- The Lochiel Avenue, Edithvale level crossing will now be closed to vehicles until Friday 9 October. Pedestrian access will be maintained.
- The Edithvale Road level crossing will be closed to vehicles between Monday 19 October to Wednesday 21 October. Pedestrian access will be maintained.
- The Bondi Road level crossing will be closed to vehicles from Monday 5 October to late October.
- Bonbeach will have various lane closures, car parking and access changes during October 2020. This will include changes to Nepean Highway, Station Street, Monica Avenue and York Street.
Stay up to date with works
To ensure you stay up to date with the latest traffic and construction impacts information in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach, sign up for our email updates.
You can also sign up for our new SMS alert service for information on major traffic and construction impacts in the area by texting ‘ECB’ to 0429 839 892.