Summer construction blitz gets underway
27 Nov 2020
Victorians are encouraged to plan ahead and allow extra travel time this summer, with work on major infrastructure projects ramping up to deliver better transport across the state.
Across Melbourne, works will be underway at more than 20 level crossings removal sites.
The Werribee Street and Cardinia Road crossings will be removed this summer, and buses will replace trains at times for level crossing works in Lilydale, Mooroolbark and Glenroy, as well as in Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach.
The removal of the Werribee Street level crossing has been fast-tracked and it will now be gone for good by the end of summer – more than a year ahead of the schedule.
Removing the Werribee Street level crossing will improve travel and safety for the 20,000 vehicles that travel through daily.
Works this summer include:
- The Cardinia Road level crossing will be closed for 16 days from 9pm Friday 20 November to 5am Monday 7 December. Traffic detours will be in place. Pakenham line trains will not be disrupted.
- The Werribee line will shut for one week from Sunday 29 November to Sunday 6 December as part of the removal of three level crossings in the area, including enabling Werribee Street to be gone for good by the end of summer. Buses will replace trains between Laverton and Werribee.
- The Lilydale line will be closed for nine days from Friday 11 December to Sunday 20 December, and again from Tuesday 9 February to Friday 19 February as crews will prepare for the removal of the level crossings at Maroondah Highway, Lilydale and Manchester Road, Mooroolbark. Buses will replace trains between Ringwood and Lilydale.
- The Craigieburn and Seymour/ Shepparton lines will be closed for eight days from Thursday 7 January to Saturday 16 January to prepare for the removal of the Glenroy Road level crossing. Buses will replace Metro trains on a section of the Craigieburn line and Regional coaches will be in place.
- The Glenroy Road level crossing will also be closed from Thursday 7 January to Sunday 28 February to allow work to start on the trench. Detours will be via Camp Road in the north and Gaffney Street in the south.
- The Frankston line will be closed for one week from Sunday 31 January to Sunday 7 February. Work crews will prepare for the removal of the Edithvale, Chelsea and Bonbeach level crossings. Buses will replace trains from Mordialloc to Frankston/Stony Point.
- The Cranbourne line will be closed for seven days starting from Thursday 26 November to Wednesday 2 December, and five days in January from Sunday 17 January to Thursday 21 January as part of the Cranbourne Line Upgrade. Buses will replace trains between Dandenong and Cranbourne, with extensions to Caulfield at times
Visit Victoria's Big Build for more information on road and public transport works across the state this summer.