Night and weekend works at Abbotts Road, Dandenong South
29 Jun 2018
The new rail bridge to remove the Abbotts Road level crossing is taking shape, with the first beams successfully installed over the road.
What we are doing:
From Saturday 30 June to Sunday 8 July 2018, our crews will be working 7:00am to 7:00pm, seven days a week. Works include drainage, sandpit, signal foundations and installation of cables to deliver the communications and power supply required to operate the rail line. No road closures will be necessary during this period.
From Thursday 5 July, the remaining 28 bridge beams will be delivered to site and installed on either side of the rail bridge. As part of these works, the project team will be working night shifts. Except for road closures on Wednesday 18 July and Thursday 19 July, roads will remain open at night.
- Weekend works on Saturday 30 June and Sunday 1 July, Saturday 7 July and Sunday 8 July 2018.
- 7:00am to 7:00pm work on site from Saturday 30 June to Sunday 8 July 2018.
- Night works from Thursday 5 July to Saturday 28 July 2018.
What to expect:
- Noise from cranes and other heavy machinery.
- Teams of construction personnel at work.
- Increase in movement of vehicles and equipment around the work zone.
Temporary overnight road disruptions
There will be temporary road closures at the Abbotts Road level crossing:
- from 7:00pm Wednesday 18 July until 4:00am Thursday 19 July
- from 7:00pm Thursday 19 July until 4:00am Friday 20 July.
Detours will be in place at the intersections with South Gippsland Highway and Frankston-Dandenong Road, with signage and traffic management also in place to assist motorists and cyclists. Access to local businesses will be maintained.
As construction activities progress over the coming months, we’ll continue to work closely with businesses and the community to minimise disruptions.