There is currently an unprecedented pipeline of work underway on Victoria’s rail network. Existing systems are being upgraded and new infrastructure is being built. With this comes the need for well-trained and qualified professionals.
Rail signalling is one area where qualified professionals are in demand, which is why the Rail Signalling Engineer Cadet Program was created.
About the program
Rail signalling is a highly specialised and growing field in the rail industry. Rail signalling engineers contribute to the design, construction, maintenance and project management of the signal systems that regulate train movements across the network.
The Rail Signalling Engineer Cadet Program provides a fully paid, three-year cadetship with placements at a range of Australia’s biggest rail and construction operators. Upon completion of the program, cadets are awarded a Graduate Diploma of Railway Signalling Systems.
A total of 19 cadets are currently in the program across the following program partners:
- Level Crossing Removal Project
- Melbourne Metro Rail Project
- Acciona Coleman
- John Holland
- Metro Trains Melbourne
- CPB Contractors
Rail Signalling Engineer Cadet Program 2021
Applications for the 2021 program are now closed.
To be eligible for the program, you must be:
- A recent electrical engineering graduate or a professional engineer with an electrical, electronic, mechatronic or computer systems degree (or similar fields) and have more than five years’ work experience.
- Be able to commit to the three-year program.
- Paid three-year cadetship, with placements at rail and construction industry leaders.
- Paid Graduate Diploma in Railway Signalling Systems qualification upon completion.
- Construction Industry White Card, Rail Industry Worker Card, and Safely Access the Rail Corridor training completed within the first five weeks of the program.
- Learn on real-word projects and systems.
- Exposure to the broader rail and construction infrastructure industry through placement rotations.
- Ongoing support from the Level Crossing Removal Project, the agency leading the program alongside industry partners.
Applications have now closed. For more information, visit Big Build Jobs.
Weeks 1 to 5
Signalling familiarisation program of workshops, demonstrations and orientation sessions.
Year-long placement with parent employer.
Start the Graduate Diploma in Railway Signalling Systems and experience up to two different employers via placement rotations.
Undertake up to two additional placement rotations, further opportunities to network and learn about specialist rail engineering and signalling directly from industry, and graduate diploma completion.