GROW, an initiative of the Victorian Government’s Training for the Future (TFTF) Program designed to introduce people from marginalised and disadvantaged backgrounds to employment and training opportunities and pathways.
GROW helps participants:
- understand the transport industry recruitment processes
- build crucial recruitment networks within industry and
- gain fully funded industry-critical certifications and tickets.
GROW with experience
GROW is held over five days at transport operator sites and infrastructure projects in Melbourne. Delivered throughout the year, GROW is designed to showcase the breadth of opportunities available across the rail and public transport network.
- train and tram manufacturing
- operations and maintenance
- engineering and project management
- electrical, mechanical, and civil trades
- professional services and administration.
- Introduction to rail and construction industry including critical safety awareness needed to work in the industry
- Resume and office/email etiquette workshop to develop your pitch for the transport sector
- Specific insights into pathways to working in Metro Trains, Yarra Trams, VLine and Bombardier Transportation
- Industry site visits and briefings from industry experts about career opportunities and pathways
- Specific insights into pathways to working on transport infrastructure projects, including via labour hire companies
- Build networks with recruitment personnel across the transport and infrastructure industry
- Gain fully funded Industry tickets required to work in the Victorian railway and construction environment:
- Construction White Card and
- Train Track Safety Awareness
- Metro induction
- Safely Access the Rail Corridor (SWIRC).
After completing the program, the program supports participants to network with program partners and apply for roles with those organisations directly.
Job opportunities can include:
- engineering roles
- project management roles
- graduate positions
- civil constructions
- entry level roles.
To be eligible for the program, potential participants must identify as one or more of the following:
- Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Being from a refugee or asylum seeker background
- Having a disability(s)
- Be registered as long term unemployed.
To participate in the program, it is important to:
- Have an interest in rail and construction industry
- Have a positive attitude and be job ready
- Be able to commit to a 5-day program
- Be willing to travel early to training venues and bus pick up sites where required
- Have appropriate language, literacy and numeracy skills where required
- Have an ability to travel to work if required.
If you are looking for a job in the rail industry, please visit the job site for rail providers:
To browse the full listing of job opportunities in the public service, broader public sector and on infrastructure projects, and programs available through Jobs Victoria, please visit the Careers Victoria website.
Jobs Victoria also connects people who are facing challenges finding work with businesses that are looking for the right people to work for them. For more information please visit the Jobs Victoria website.
“Through the Kangan Institute which I did a short course with, at the end of that the Grow Program was mentioned and introduced to us, and so I took the opportunity to take that up and do a rail ticket and was able to obtain a position here at the Cherry Street Crossing Removal.”
Agency enquiries and referrals
Referrals can be made to the program by community organisations, employment support agencies, including the Jobs Victoria Employment Network.
To learn more about the program or to register your interest please email: GROW@levelcrossings.vic.gov.au