This Privacy Statement outlines the Level Crossing Removal Project's (LXRP) commitment to ensuring the proper collection, handling, storage and maintenance of your personal information under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) (Privacy Act) and other applicable laws that protect your privacy.
The legal framework
As a public organisation delivering a project on behalf of the Victorian Government, LXRP must comply with the Privacy Act. The Privacy Act contains a set of Information Privacy Principles (IPPs) that dictates how LXRP must handle both your personal information and sensitive information.
Personal information is information or an opinion that is recorded in any form, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. Personal information may include your name, address, position description and contact details.
Sensitive information is also personal information, specifically personal information about an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliation, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, or criminal record.
How will LXRP handle the personal and sensitive information that it collects from you?
In performing its functions and in complying with the IPPs, LXRP:
- will only collect personal information about you that is necessary for LXRP to fulfil its functions. A core function of LXRP is to engage and consult with stakeholders and the public about the project. In some circumstances LXRP may collect personal information from third parties. For example, LXRP may collect personal information from other government bodies and ministers that redirect your queries and issues to LXRP. LXRP may also collect personal information from other third parties including public sources, local councils, rail operators, contractors engaged to help deliver the project and organisations/groups with which you are associated or involved (e.g. your employer or a community group).
- will, when collecting your personal information, take reasonable steps to notify you or ensure that you are aware of the purpose for which your personal information is being collected and how your personal information is used and disclosed.
- may use the information you provide to communicate with you via newsletter and/or eNews, respond to enquiries, requests or complaints, gain a better understanding of LXRP's stakeholders' questions or concerns about the project to allow our team to respond to enquiries more efficiently, and to inform future public information and engagement activities.
- may disclose your contact details to a third party, such as a rail operator or authority, Public Transport Victoria or a contractor engaged to help deliver the project, to respond to your enquiry or concerns, or at handover of the completed project to the authority responsible for the rail network.
- will obtain your consent to collect your sensitive information (unless LXRP is otherwise required or authorised to collect it), and to use or disclose your personal information if required.
- will take all reasonable precautions to ensure the security of your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosures.
LXRP may not be able to fulfil its functions without your personal information. We encourage you to contact us should you have any privacy queries.
Cookies and website usage measurement
A cookie is a small data file placed on your hard drive by the web page server. A cookie cannot retrieve any other data from your hard drive, pass on a computer virus, or capture your email address. The cookie will remain on your computer as a record for future visits to this website. In using cookies, the MTIA does not record any personal information or collect names or details of commercial transactions.
MTIA uses the services of third parties including Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel.
By using this website, you consent to the processing of data about you by third parties whose services MTIA uses in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
Disable cookies or opt out of online ads
You can configure your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, providing you with the opportunity to either accept or reject it. You can also refuse all cookies by turning them off in your browser or deleting all cookies from your computer if required; however please note that if you do this you may not be able to use the full functionality of this website.
For further information on how you can opt out of the collection and use of information for ad targeting in relation to this website or the Major Transport Infrastructure Program, please refer to these websites:
Who do you contact for any privacy concerns?
Please contact LXRP if you wish to seek access to any personal information that LXRP holds about you, if you wish to have your personal information corrected, or if you have a complaint about the way that LXRP has handled your personal information.
Requests can be addressed to the FOI Officer, Level Crossing Removal Project, Level 9, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC 3000.
Receive emails on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Receive SMS on the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project
Stay up to date with the progress of the Level Crossing Removal Project