The Victorian Freedom of Information Act 1982 gives you the right to apply for access to documents held by the Victorian Government.
Under the Act, you can also ask the Level Crossing Removal Project to correct inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date information it holds about you.
Making a Freedom of Information request
What you need
For your FOI request to be valid before we can process it, you must:
- submit a written request that clearly specifies documents you seek access to
- provide an application fee of $30.10 (as of 1 July 2021) or request that the application fee be waived.
If you are seeking access to documents containing personal affairs information held by us about you, please also provide a copy of:
- your photo ID, such as your driver’s licence or passport.
If you are seeking access to documents containing personal affairs information held by us about someone else, please also provide copies of:
- your photo ID, such as your driver’s licence or passport
- proof of relationship, such as a letter of authority from the relevant person to release their information.
A statutory fee of $30.10 (as of 1 July 2021) applies for all FOI requests. We accept payment by:
- cheque (by post)
- credit card (through our online portal).
If you are seeking a waiver of the application fee, please provide evidence that payment would cause you financial hardship, such as a health care card.
Submitting your request
Make an FOI request through the Department of Justice's Freedom of Information portal.
You will need a credit card to complete this online application, or documents proving financial hardship. Your request will be forwarded to us.
Email your written request and supporting documents to LXRP-FOI@levelcrossings.vic.gov.au.
If you submit your request by email and don’t seek to have the application fee waived, please mail a cheque for the fee amount.
The application fee needs to be paid or waived before your request becomes valid.
Send a copy of your request, supporting documents and a cheque (or evidence of financial hardship) to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Level Crossing Removal Project
GPO Box 2392
Melbourne VIC 3001
Contact us on 1800 105 105 or email LXRP-FOI@levelcrossings.vic.gov.au.