The Hurstbridge Rail Line Upgrade is being delivered under an Alliance framework by Laing O'Rourke, Fulton Hogan, Jacobs, the Level Crossing Removal Authority, and Metro Trains Melbourne. As principal contractor for the project, the Alliance will adopt and operate under Laing O'Rourke's Environmental Policy.
Laing O'Rourke is committed to the protection and enhancement of the environment. High environmental performance is an ongoing priority and is achieved by our actions in line with this policy. This policy sits alongside our Sustainability policy and Supply Chain policy as part of our global policy framework, underpinned by our Global Code of Conduct. Our goal is to minimise the negative impacts of our operations and maximise the quality of the built environment for future generations. Through innovation and application of leading practice, we aim to steer the industry to design a sustainable and high-quality built environment with as little environmental impact as possible through the whole asset lifecycle.
Our goal will be realised by:
- Demonstrated leadership of our environmental agenda by senior leaders
- Complying with relevant legislation and other requirements specific to the context of our business and regularly evaluating and reporting compliance
- Preventing polluting emissions or discharges to the environment
- Proactively minimising environmental impacts, including being industry leading in minimising direct and embodied carbon emissions, and providing energy efficient / low carbon assets for our clients
- Continual improvement of the environmental performance of our activities, products and services through clear objectives, targets and programmes
- Exploring opportunities in the sourcing and lifecycle aspects of our products, services and supply chain to reduce carbon emissions and demonstrate positive environmental outcomes
- Exploring opportunities for innovative technologies, products and processes that drive improved environmental outcomes / environmental benefits throughout the delivery and operation of the assets we build
- Communicating and addressing the risks and opportunities associated with the impacts of our activities, products and services
- Improving resource efficiency by reducing the use of natural resources and reducing waste, maximising resource recovery and diverting the waste we do produce away from landfill sites
- Reducing our water consumption and improving water efficiency in all of our operations
- Engaging our supply chain partners to improve their environmental performance and responsible sourcing of their materials, products and services
- Proactively protecting, preserving and enhancing biodiversity and land quality
- Enhancing employee understanding of environmental sustainability through stimulating cultural change and providing clear direction
- Maintaining ISO 14001 certification for our principal businesses and progressing further certifications for our products and services
Our policies are reviewed and updated annually to evolve with the world around us to make Laing O'Rourke the company of first choice for all our stakeholders, while challenging and changing the image of construction worldwide.
The Board of Directors of Laing O'Rourke fully endorse this policy.