The Victorian Government is removing two dangerous and congested level crossings along the Hurstbridge line, building a brand new Rosanna Station, and duplicating the single section of track between Heidelberg and Rosanna.
This will make communities safer and get commuters in Melbourne’s north-east home sooner.
As part of the Lower Plenty Road level crossing removal, we’re rebuilding Rosanna Station in its current location, with the platforms elevated and other station facilities at ground level.
Improved facilities at the station will include:
- new retail space and forecourt that can be accessed from either side of the station
- safer waiting areas, better lighting and CCTV cameras
- public toilets for customer use
- Parkiteer secure bicycle storage
- lifts and ramps to provide better access for people with disabilities and parents with strollers
- safer walkways and pedestrian crossings that provide connections to Rosanna Village shops, Rosanna Library and Rosanna Parklands
- new bus stops with digital displays for rail and bus information
- new car parks with larger car spaces and no reduction in the number of car parks.
How has community feedback been incorporated into the design?
The finishes and colours used in the station design reflect the surrounding area and draw on feedback from the local community.
Some of the changes we have made after consulting with the community include:
- retaining a significant proportion of the existing blue stone wall along Turnham Avenue
- reducing the height of the station and bridge to minimise visual impact
- using colours that draw on local parks and bushland on the cladding of the bridge, station panels, paving of the station forecourt, lift shafts and signage.
Rosanna Station – key dates
- On Friday 6 October Rosanna Station will close and will reopen on 30 April 2018.
- From Monday 16 October all trains will run express through Rosanna. A shuttle bus service will run between Heidelberg and Macleod stations where commuters can board the train.
- From 16 March to 30 April 2018 there will be a temporary shutdown of the Hurstbridge line for a major construction blitz.
- On 30 April 2018, the brand new Rosanna Station will be open to rail passengers.
- The new Rosanna Station car park will open in mid to late 2018. Until then, the alternative commuter parking will be in place.